+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking Direction

Post Likes

Seeking Direction

First of all I'm new to this board. Kinda of stumbled across it when searching for ideas. Was really happy to find a website like this. I'm currently in the Air Force doing HVAC and have been for the last 9 years. Have less than 2 years before this enlistment is up and as much as I'm grateful for those years. I'm leaning towards a major change and its not going two be a easy choice. To be honest I'm really nervous about it. Thinking of finish my years with a Reserve or Guard unit and trying the civilian life again. First of all fellas I know my years in the Air Force are not equilvant to someone who has been in the private sector for that same amount of time. I wouldn't even know were to place me when it comes to HVAC experience. My wife is going to have to help me with my resume...haha Well I have a few questions that I thought about asking. I'm whiling to hear the good and the bad! Just excited to hear what you have to say.

*Is there anyone that has been in this same situation?
    *Would you recommend on going to a trade school?
    *What do employers feel about workers being in the reserve or guard?
    *Is there a slimmer of hope in finding work?

I only get to talk to military guys about this stuff. So I'm grateful to hear anything that someone that actually lives in the world of HVAC has to say.

Thank You

Post Likes
    tell us what you do on a daily basis to support your facility?? also what equipment do you work on??
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Post Likes
    I wasnt quite in the same position you are in but kinda similar. I started hvac after i got off of active duty (I was and air craft mech in the Marines). I am currently an a/c mech in the reserves. Chances are you know enough to get a helper job or a pm tech job but they probably wont pay that well starting off. I went to trade school at night while I worked in the trade during the day so I would definitely use that GI Bill you earned to offset the not so stellar pay. A lot of companies love getting prior military so they should be good with the obligations of a reservist. Just be open with them about all the obligations, plus once your with a company they cant discriminate against your obligations.

Post Likes
    The pipefitters union has helments to hardhats program.
    Lu 533 in kc is strong and cost of living cheap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    The pipefitters union has helments to hardhats program.
    Lu 533 in kc is strong and cost of living cheap.

+1

We have a couple of guys doing this/done this ....

Post Likes
    YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET LEAVING THE MILITARY.
    especially if you're looking for work on the west coast.
    you want to quit steady pay the military to work for some knucklehead running a rinky dink company?

Post Likes
    It's a scary thought, I know, leaving what you know for the unknown. I'm prior service Marine now in the NG as a 91C (HVAC). The company I work for has been fantastic about my Guard service, even deployments. Actually there are 3 of us at this company, 2 Army and 1 Air Guard, all HVAC MOSs. The Air Guard guy came here with 0 civilian experience but 15+ years military and a top dog in his unit. Full of confidence and used to being the go to guy. Bombed big time initially. Really struggled and was way out of his league. However he recognized this, as did the service manager, and adjusted fire. Had to take a step back in pay and responsibility and learn what he had not been taught in the military environment. He did that and has grown into a compatent and agin confident tech. Not trying to scare you just prepare you. It's alot different out here. Expectations are higher and pace is much higher. You can do it I promise. With 9 years I'm guessing E5-E6 and probably considered an SME (subject matter expert). Out here you will be more like an E3 promotable. However the Air Guard will take you in a second so you can keep the rank and respect you have attained. Plus the extra income will help to start. You can do it as I said. Just do it with open eyes and mind. Good luck.

Post Likes
    The contract I work at has many ex military guys working for us. They actually get preference. As far as continued service goes, our company grants whatever time is needed to fulfill your duties. Maybe you should consider a government sub like what I work for? We have techs and we also have PM guys which is great for someone looking to get their feet wet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    The contract I work at has many ex military guys working for us. They actually get preference. As far as continued service goes, our company grants whatever time is needed to fulfill your duties. Maybe you should consider a government sub like what I work for? We have techs and we also have PM guys which is great for someone looking to get their feet wet.
    That's a great idea.

Post Likes
    Great idea ryan!

Post Likes
    First of all I want to Thank You! Nobody had to take time out of there day to help but I truely appreciate it.

J-thetechwizard: Right now I have a big job for me (you guys might laught at this but this for me is a large job). Just to let you know this isn't always my routine. I'm on a traveling team that is gone around 250-280 days out of the year. We maintain alot of places all over the Pacific. Me and another HVAC guy are planning and working on installing two 20 ton split units and two 15 ton split units for a air terminal. We have another big job (not were I'm currently at) were we totally restoring a fourteen bay fire station. We have gutted the place to the bare concreate walls and replacing everything. From the roof to the walls. Including the entire HVAC system. To be honest J-thetechwizard demolition and asbestos removal take up most of workload. Deployments which I have one coming up, is were I can fully concentrate on my trade. Its nice getting to learn all kinds of different stuff like running all the heavy equipment, but I'd be lying if I didnt think down the road it could hinder me. Cause thats time I could have been doing HVAC. Thank You!!!

supertek65, J-thetechwizard, SgtBone, mikeacman, tommy knocker, wolfstrike, ryan1088.... Thanks wasnt for sure if I get any responses but after getting off work I saw all you guys did that. Really made my day!!

Just trying to get a ground plan. Still have a little under a year and half to go but always like to have a game plan. Alot of things can happen in that time which I'm sure everyone on here would agree with. Just want have open eyes like tommy was saying. I plan on getting on here any hearing alot of good information during that time.

Thank You
    David

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Hey Ryan was does PM stand for? What do they do?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHerd View Post
    Hey Ryan was does PM stand for? What do they do?

Thanks
    Preventative maint. Coil washing, belts, filters, ops checks, etc.

Post Likes
    I am the other Guard guy that works with Tommy Knocker. I worked for the company a total of 3 years. 2 the first round (I left due to a slow winter and starting a family needed a steady pay check) went to the federal technician program. But came back over a year ago I love hvac. With that said if this is what you want to pursue hang in there and save want ya can when your crazy busy. I should have listened to the other techs when I left because I would have been a lot further ahead then I am now. As for as being a m-day guard and civilian employment it is highly illegal for the civilian job to not honor your military obligation therefor they cannot terminate you for missing work for military duty. Good luck.

Post Likes
    WOW!
    You are doing alot of big heavy work! 20T, 15T units...thats nothing to turn your nose up to!! In fact that's exactly what the SHeet Metal Workers Union does!!

If I was you , I would go straight to your local "Sheet metal workers union" and get on the books! I have done alot of big mechanical work, and it's easy stuff. If you have prior experience, which you do, then your shoe in for that.

Also, you will probably be made a sheet metal foreman almost immediately if you can prove that you can run a project and draw up and implement change order designs.

Not to knock these guys here but most of them are speaking from a commercial - industrial service position which, as they quoted, is very face paced and at times difficult however, you can make a living on the outside as a sheet metal worker and never pick up a meter.

take pictures of everything you install or demo from now on! make your own portfolio for when you are sitting in front of a potential employer, you can showcase your experiences, let the pictures do the talking!!!

Stay away from commercial service for now until you can get settled in. As they mentioned before, you will probably have to go to a trade school to qualify for a service position....Hell, I can't even get a residential service position out here in BUffalo, and I've been in the business since 1995. Its a tough economy out here and everything is tightly locked in.

http://www.smwia.org/

Here is the URL for the SHeet Metal Workers International Union website...check it out and send an email through this main website. A national orgainizer will then contact you and he'll help you get into the program/ position that is best for you and your family.

If you can get grandfathered in as a Journeyman, which is what I did..(your pictures will help you prove this) then you'll be that much more ahead. If you can't, then their 5 year apprenticeship is very good also...and you'll probably move up quickly through that.

Peace out!
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by J-thetechwizard View Post
    WOW!
    You are doing alot of big heavy work! 20T, 15T units...thats nothing to turn your nose up to!! In fact that's exactly what the SHeet Metal Workers Union does!!

If I was you , I would go straight to your local "Sheet metal workers union" and get on the books! I have done alot of big mechanical work, and it's easy stuff. If you have prior experience, which you do, then your shoe in for that.

Also, you will probably be made a sheet metal foreman almost immediately if you can prove that you can run a project and draw up and implement change order designs.

Not to knock these guys here but most of them are speaking from a commercial - industrial service position which, as they quoted, is very face paced and at times difficult however, you can make a living on the outside as a sheet metal worker and never pick up a meter.

take pictures of everything you install or demo from now on! make your own portfolio for when you are sitting in front of a potential employer, you can showcase your experiences, let the pictures do the talking!!!

Stay away from commercial service for now until you can get settled in. As they mentioned before, you will probably have to go to a trade school to qualify for a service position....Hell, I can't even get a residential service position out here in BUffalo, and I've been in the business since 1995. Its a tough economy out here and everything is tightly locked in.

http://www.smwia.org/

Here is the URL for the SHeet Metal Workers International Union website...check it out and send an email through this main website. A national orgainizer will then contact you and he'll help you get into the program/ position that is best for you and your family.

If you can get grandfathered in as a Journeyman, which is what I did..(your pictures will help you prove this) then you'll be that much more ahead. If you can't, then their 5 year apprenticeship is very good also...and you'll probably move up quickly through that.

Peace out!
    This is another excellent suggestion. I suspect you are E5-E7 so your a lead men or foreman already. You already have training and experience leading workers on a site and it seems you have the technical experience for install/change out work. There's good money in it and more in line with what you are accustomed too. I would absolutely consider this. Good luck.

Post Likes
    GoHerd, I can't help you with your decision, but I would like to thank you for your service in the military.

Post Likes
    welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Preventative maint. Coil washing, belts, filters, ops checks, etc.
    Ya that! And other things like assist us mechanics on jobs when needed. When things get really nutty, they jump in and run calls on small stuff too.

I'd suggest putting some feelers out now (you already have on this site) but also putting some out where you would like to settle and live. Learn all you can from here when you have some free time on deployment and try to apply it in your every day work. You will really be shocked how much you can get back out of it.

Now all you have to do is get your post count up and open the door!!

Post Likes
    This is all good information. I'm keeping all this in this stuff on paper. The picture idea is great. Cause over time I just forget alot of stuff that I've done until something reminds me of it. Thank You

Hwolfe thats a stomper man on your picture. I don't know if I could work at all with that hanging on my wall. I'd just want to stare at it all day. haha

Thanks Everyone

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in