Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsparky View Post
    And yes restaurants are the worst. I think some of the managers are worse than the grease.
    Agree 110%

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Agree 110%
    took a call at a restaurant today......walked in looked around ...... got the heck out of there....are you kidding me...... could care less if the walk in ever works.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

The walk-in might not matter, but if they have an ice cream machine and that quits working, oh my god its a crisis.

I think that since anything below 32* F is considered below freezing, your freezer only has to be below 32*F.

don't care..... I have not taken a restaurant call for years..... I assure you never again......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by steelsparky View Post
    Hello,

This is the first time I've posted, been viewing since I got into the trade a few years ago. Great place.

I've come across an opportunity for a change in companies and I'm trying to weigh the options for my future.

Small background...started as commercial and later, shift electrician, then went into controls. Then changed over to HVAC, did commercial refrigeration, mostly supermarkets and restaurants, at a mom and pop place.

So at my current job, I do anything from restaurant service and maintenance, supermarket service and occasionally construction, and some RTU's. Pretty much work my ass off, never have the stuff for a job, always on call it seems, have a huge territory - some stores are 2 hours away. I could probably go on and on.

Other company, only does supermarkets. They are much larger and have licenses in other states. They have now made it where each tech gets 5 stores. Set your own schedule, run your calls, schedule parts and follow up. Also do any rack/refrigeration maintenance need. Leak checks, oil changes. Help others as needed. Also on-call often, but stores all in same area.

So I'm realistic, I know I can't keep up with supermarket refrigeration forever. It will run you into the ground. Forget about a life, your on-call. I do want to one day, start my own business. For now, I still have time to put in, I'm 26. I would most likely do residential/commercial.

So is it wise to stay with a company that would keep me into a little bit of everything, but just be miserable with the way they run the show. Or go with a new company that stays in just one field, same stores, day in - day out.

Is it true, the grass is never greener?

Thanks everyone.
    I kind of have a job like yours, and I kind of know how you feel. What you should do is just consider what you would like doing better, your current job or the new job. Then see if you can find out any more about the new company, would they be better to deal with than your current company. It sounds like you have made a few career changes already. If you do go to work at the new company and your life changes in a few years, there are always other jobs out there. On the other hand too, you could stick it out at your current job and see if anything else comes along.

A lot of people on here give good advice, think it over and make the choice for yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12