Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm universal parts-- basic truck stock

im looking to be a 1 stop shop. residential forced air mostly, gas valves, pressure switches, what about circuit boards ?... id like a good direction for basic truck stock. basically ive seen way too big of checks wrote to my current employer and i have to cash my hard to get by on paycheck. butbutbut dang i did the work ?

What do you have for truck stock now?

a few thermocouples and a couple style HSI, 5/7.5 caps, a universal 120 blower motor (mars), no gas valves, no pressure switches(looking at the adjustable type for stock)...misc csrcaps. misc hoses,misc wires, misc thermostats 1h2c,2h2c, blah blah. on the skinny looking to go solo and keep my costs on the low end.

I'd add a universal HSI,a 850 and a 1075rpm condensor fan motor, a torsion band, an assortment of universal control boards, a few gas valves(one smartvalve),a defrost control board or two,an adjustable pressure switch and assortment of capacitors to what you normally stock. That should keep you out of the supply house for a day or two. Of course a jug of 22 and a jug of 410A.

Safe to assume you already own the tools like combustion analyzer,reclaim machine and tanks, torch set, nitro tank,refrigerant scale,micron gauge,manometer,ladders and either a vane or hot wire anemometer? Already passed the masters test so you can get a business license and insurance?

I have been doing this 12 years and i don't even know what this is "hot wire anemometer" nor have i ever needed one...I don't think

Now, this is just me....

If I were trying to get started 'on the skinny' I'd try to avoid purchasing big ticket items if at all possible.

Buy a board for $XX, sit on it for how many months just hoping to sell it to a customer.

Talk to your suppliers about what they stock and how fast they can get parts for you rather than running up a big overhead.

Then again, I'm not a businessman, so I might not be the best person to take advice from.

Quote Originally Posted by rockn_yota View Post
    I have been doing this 12 years and i don't even know what this is "hot wire anemometer" nor have i ever needed one...I don't think
    A hot wire anemometer is one type of tool used to measure airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Now, this is just me....

If I were trying to get started 'on the skinny' I'd try to avoid purchasing big ticket items if at all possible.

Buy a board for $XX, sit on it for how many months just hoping to sell it to a customer.

Talk to your suppliers about what they stock and how fast they can get parts for you rather than running up a big overhead.

Then again, I'm not a businessman, so I might not be the best person to take advice from.
    Your not a businessman but you are correct..... My techs have stuff in there truck they don't even know they have. ... Leave the parts at the supplier. ... Customer pays you to go get them anyway..... Just keep the small stuff....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

For boards, I stock the following:
    Emerson rescue board (other than Carrier, will fit most furnaces with a 12 pin molex plug)
    HoneyWell 9150 and 9200 universal boards (fits 6 and 9 wire molex plugs).
    As noted; other than Carrier, this pretty well covers boards.

With caps, it is more what you need... I stock about a dozen or so sizes, with a couple of Turbo's for odd sizes.
    Universal adjustable pressure switches are the way to go IMO.

I do not stock draft inducers... too much $$$ and space tied up.

Motors:
    1/4,1/3,1/2,3/4 HP blower (furnace)
    1/6,1/4,1/3 HP cond and 1/4 825 RPM cond
    And I keep one EverGreen 1/2-3/4 HP motor just for that one customer that will shell out the $$$'s. Usually sell 2 or 3 a year.

Then the misc stuff; contactors, roll-out switches, high limits, some hoses, condensate pump, tubing, overflow safety switch, and a host of other goodies.

Tools:
    Good multi-meter, vacuum pump and recovery machine, refrigerant sniffer, CA unit, various electronic test instruments.

R-22 and R-410A, and I have a can of R-407C at my shop for dry-charge installs... costs about 2/3 of R-22 now-a-days.

Guess that is enough for now...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Our company has sprinters with roughly $15k worth of stock on em' & we still run to the supply house all the time. Your best bet is to stick to universal parts whenever possible. If you find yourself running for a particular part more than once every couple of weeks, grab one for your truck. Specialized parts like boards and whatnot just get trashed while you wait for someone to need it. If you have the space and/or demand, parts like Evergreen motors are handy & easy to sell. Around here they have a 1-2 week lead time. Keep track of what you use & have to run for.

It says in your profile that you are new to the trade - Welcome to HELL!!! (Just kidding)

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

wait till youstart paying allyour own bills and you will find out them big checks dont go far
    We really need change now

How many customers do you have lined up already.

All the truck stock in the world is useless if you got no customers calling you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Gonna throw my dads philosophy at you... He was an automotive parts store and machine shop owner for thirty years...

If you notice a trend on a certain part/widget and it takes a day or more to get, stock one. he used two a year as a guideline, three if it was over a certain dollar amount.

If another nearby supply house stocks a hundred of them, why would you stock it?

Know what you have, having a current inventory list of what you have on hand (and more importantly what it fits) will save you a ton of grief.

Continuously rotate the stock parts, it is very hard on parts to just ride around on a truck, use it or lose it definitely applies...

Always be aware that if something takes a day or so to get and nobody stocks it locally, there is probably a reason, More than likely they don't move well...

Paying taxes on inventory is a big reason to not stock anything expensive, if it's on the truck for more than one fiscal year, you get to pay taxes on it twice....

On my service truck, my stock is always adapting to the current trend and a coworker and I share our lists so in case one of us does not have something on hand, there is a chance the other may have it....

I don't do any residential, so my list would be of no help.....

BTW on a side note, your boss is seeing the big checks, but I don't think you thought it through....

Insurance, vehicle cost, advertizing, your wages, fuel costs, taxes and the list goes on virtually forever.... For every dollar you see on the "big checks" he may pocket about a 20 cents or so and that's if he's pretty good.... Just food for thought.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast