+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/C System keeps freezing up

Post Likes

A/C System keeps freezing up

Hi to everyone , this is my first post , i have a 2 ton split a/c system R22 ,the air handler is bryant about 7 years old and the condensing unit is a goodman 1 yr old ,the air handler is a closet unit (front coil) piston's coil , now the thing is , the system got frozen every two week , not every day , the freon level is good , the air filter's coil is clean ( i washed) , i replace the fan motor ,the capacitor and the control board at the air handler , i replaced the thermostat as well , when the unit got frozen ,the fan motor still running , i taped all the insulation behind the door of the air handler , but the system still freezing up an average of twice at month , anybody has idea what is going on in this case ?? thank you in advance !!!

Post Likes
    Is this at your home? Have you had a tech check it out?

Post Likes
    no , is not in my house , its a client's house

Post Likes
    Need a tech out man. Alot of things have been replaced for what reasons? Way off base for what the problem is.

Post Likes
    Moved to tech to tech chat.

Post Likes
    check and see if the evaporator coil is dirty

Post Likes
    its winter, turn it off

Post Likes
    Twice a month? I would just use a freeze stat. It is a small snap disc switch that will clip to the end tubing on the evaporator and will open when the evaporator falls to around 34F This will prevent the coil from forming ice.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Why was the condenser replaced? I'd bet compressor failure and the system wasn't cleaned properly, then was the new condenser the correct size, does the piston match the new condenser? Way to many possiblitys to get a good answer on the web, I suggest replace the system and it probly also needs new ductwork because it could also be lack of airflow. Or you could get ahold of an HVAC technician that knows a thing or three about air conditioners.

Post Likes
    Yea im not sure why you became a parts changer instead of a technician and go through diagnostics before switching out parts and guessing whats wrong..

It could be anything from using the system with a real low load on it inside and out , bad air flow, sticking outdoor contactor where the unit runs outside after blower cycles off, the blower relay is sticking and not turning on with the OD unit cycle, real restrictive filter IE a 3M filterte super allergy(those will cause freeze up on systems with high static returns and bad airflow, or the charge is off enough that when the load drops it freezes..

changing the blower motor and Capacitor would have been so far down the list i would have never started there..

Post Likes
    the condensing unit was replaced because the compressor was grounded , i replaced the thermostat just for esthetic ,i put a nice digital ,taking off mercury one , the evaporator coil has been washed really good , the reason i replaced the fan motor , control board and the capacitor was because , the people that lives in that apartment works all day , and when the unit has get frozen ,has happened about 2am in the morning ,for that reason the client calls me about 8:30 in the morning , to let me know , telling me that he shut the system off until the evap coil got defrost , then he use the the thermostat at 75 degrees and the system cools perfect , so when i go there at day time , i see the unit running perfect , the pressure is about 65 at low and 240 at the high , but i thought that the fan motor probably got over heat and stops working , ( happened before to me ) that why i decided to replaced it (blower,control board, cap) , i never see it in person the unit frozen because like i said before , it happen At night time , i, have saw it in picture , beacuse the client took some photos . (a/h and c/u are 2 ton i cant see the duct work because there is not attic space )
    thank you answers !!!

Post Likes
    JVR,
    The first thing I'd check when the unit is defrosted is the system static pressures. Also, measure the drop across the evap coil. I am a firm believer that in order to properly clean an evap coil, it must be pulled.
    Doug

Post Likes
    When they go to bed at night tell the customers to not turn the AC all the way down to 60 and it will not freeze up

Post Likes
    Welcome,
    We are not able to see the job so if you have an issue it would make it easier to help if you provide all pressures and temps. We need superheat and subcool, static pressure could help also.

To get by on this job you could install a freeze stat and make sure it goes through a delay.
    Fan cycle switch could also prevent freezing.

Without the info its impossible to diagnose. That condenser change out may be at the root though.

Post Likes
    Are you a technician? Sounds to me like this is DIY. Either find actual problem, or add a simple "freezestat" and be done with this. Quit switching parts out unless this is your favorite brother in law who has money to waste!

Post Likes
    Use the low temp limit in the fancy new digital thermostat to prevent them from setting it below 68*F.

Refrigerant pressures are only a small glimpse into what the system is doing. Subcool, superheat, temp drop across coil, etc, etc, are all indicators of system operation. Check them....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in