Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am the other Guard guy that works with Tommy Knocker. I worked for the company a total of 3 years. 2 the first round (I left due to a slow winter and starting a family needed a steady pay check) went to the federal technician program. But came back over a year ago I love hvac. With that said if this is what you want to pursue hang in there and save want ya can when your crazy busy. I should have listened to the other techs when I left because I would have been a lot further ahead then I am now. As for as being a m-day guard and civilian employment it is highly illegal for the civilian job to not honor your military obligation therefor they cannot terminate you for missing work for military duty. Good luck.

WOW!
    You are doing alot of big heavy work! 20T, 15T units...thats nothing to turn your nose up to!! In fact that's exactly what the SHeet Metal Workers Union does!!

If I was you , I would go straight to your local "Sheet metal workers union" and get on the books! I have done alot of big mechanical work, and it's easy stuff. If you have prior experience, which you do, then your shoe in for that.

Also, you will probably be made a sheet metal foreman almost immediately if you can prove that you can run a project and draw up and implement change order designs.

Not to knock these guys here but most of them are speaking from a commercial - industrial service position which, as they quoted, is very face paced and at times difficult however, you can make a living on the outside as a sheet metal worker and never pick up a meter.

take pictures of everything you install or demo from now on! make your own portfolio for when you are sitting in front of a potential employer, you can showcase your experiences, let the pictures do the talking!!!

Stay away from commercial service for now until you can get settled in. As they mentioned before, you will probably have to go to a trade school to qualify for a service position....Hell, I can't even get a residential service position out here in BUffalo, and I've been in the business since 1995. Its a tough economy out here and everything is tightly locked in.

http://www.smwia.org/

Here is the URL for the SHeet Metal Workers International Union website...check it out and send an email through this main website. A national orgainizer will then contact you and he'll help you get into the program/ position that is best for you and your family.

If you can get grandfathered in as a Journeyman, which is what I did..(your pictures will help you prove this) then you'll be that much more ahead. If you can't, then their 5 year apprenticeship is very good also...and you'll probably move up quickly through that.

Peace out!
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by J-thetechwizard View Post
    WOW!
    You are doing alot of big heavy work! 20T, 15T units...thats nothing to turn your nose up to!! In fact that's exactly what the SHeet Metal Workers Union does!!

If I was you , I would go straight to your local "Sheet metal workers union" and get on the books! I have done alot of big mechanical work, and it's easy stuff. If you have prior experience, which you do, then your shoe in for that.

Also, you will probably be made a sheet metal foreman almost immediately if you can prove that you can run a project and draw up and implement change order designs.

Not to knock these guys here but most of them are speaking from a commercial - industrial service position which, as they quoted, is very face paced and at times difficult however, you can make a living on the outside as a sheet metal worker and never pick up a meter.

take pictures of everything you install or demo from now on! make your own portfolio for when you are sitting in front of a potential employer, you can showcase your experiences, let the pictures do the talking!!!

Stay away from commercial service for now until you can get settled in. As they mentioned before, you will probably have to go to a trade school to qualify for a service position....Hell, I can't even get a residential service position out here in BUffalo, and I've been in the business since 1995. Its a tough economy out here and everything is tightly locked in.

http://www.smwia.org/

Here is the URL for the SHeet Metal Workers International Union website...check it out and send an email through this main website. A national orgainizer will then contact you and he'll help you get into the program/ position that is best for you and your family.

If you can get grandfathered in as a Journeyman, which is what I did..(your pictures will help you prove this) then you'll be that much more ahead. If you can't, then their 5 year apprenticeship is very good also...and you'll probably move up quickly through that.

Peace out!
    This is another excellent suggestion. I suspect you are E5-E7 so your a lead men or foreman already. You already have training and experience leading workers on a site and it seems you have the technical experience for install/change out work. There's good money in it and more in line with what you are accustomed too. I would absolutely consider this. Good luck.

GoHerd, I can't help you with your decision, but I would like to thank you for your service in the military.

welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Preventative maint. Coil washing, belts, filters, ops checks, etc.
    Ya that! And other things like assist us mechanics on jobs when needed. When things get really nutty, they jump in and run calls on small stuff too.

I'd suggest putting some feelers out now (you already have on this site) but also putting some out where you would like to settle and live. Learn all you can from here when you have some free time on deployment and try to apply it in your every day work. You will really be shocked how much you can get back out of it.

Now all you have to do is get your post count up and open the door!!

This is all good information. I'm keeping all this in this stuff on paper. The picture idea is great. Cause over time I just forget alot of stuff that I've done until something reminds me of it. Thank You

Hwolfe thats a stomper man on your picture. I don't know if I could work at all with that hanging on my wall. I'd just want to stare at it all day. haha

Thanks Everyone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12