+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some dual fuel questions

Post Likes

Some dual fuel questions

hey guys. This past may i installed a lennox xp15, matched with a lennox el furnace with propane and a honeywell pro 6000. We can just the heat pump for the cooler spring days, and just recently had the gas company come install the tank, and run the lines to the furnace.

So, im heading up there tomorrow to set up the system for winter operation.

Now please keep in mind, that this is a cottage, and people are only here on the odd weekend, so for the majority of the winter, the system is going to be just used to keep cottage water lines from freezing.

So i have already determined i will set my cutout at 2 degrees C for our switchover. I have installed an outdoor sensor for the switchover.

A couple questions i need answers for.

1) Thermostat set backs.

Considering we will not be here most of the week, if i set my thermostat to maintain lets say, 12 dgrees C, is this going to be ok? Then when someone comes up for the weekend, they can just jack it up to 19C, this would bring on my propane.

2) New Tank start up

So the gas company never fired the furnace after installing tank, all i know is the tank is full. Whats involved in firing it up for the first time, do i just open up my shutoff valve, and measure my "wc at the burners? And then purge it until LP is present?

3) Automatic backup

If i have our system set for heat pump, and propane back up, if there is an issue with the heat pump, or the furnace, will the system automatically run the backup? Let say the furnace locks out due to a press. switch fault, will the heat pump automatically kick in and humm away? My biggest concern here is having a breakdown on my propane, and pipes freezing, as we just did 100,000$ of remodeling.

4) im thinking of possibly setting my switchover to -5C, any comments on this?

Also, the furnace is a 2 stage, should i run a jumper from w1 to w2 to maintain my 11"wc? or is LP ok to run on low fire?

Post Likes
    any input before i head out in 6 hours?

Post Likes
    also, my mistake, its a honeywell 3+2 8000

Post Likes
    The 8000 won't stage the backup so you'll have to let the timer on the board do it

It is recommended that neither the heat pump nor the 90+ furnace run with return temps below 60F. Not sure what that is in C talk.

There is no auto backup with the 8000. If it is above the changeover point and the HP fails, no heat.

Post Likes
    Go with ecobee so you have more control and understand how things operate under varying conditions.

Seems putting so much weight on propane will be expensive. And keeping it warmer will add buffer if power goes out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Purcell1 View Post
    hey guys. This past may i installed a lennox xp15, matched with a lennox el furnace with propane and a honeywell pro 6000. We can just the heat pump for the cooler spring days, and just recently had the gas company come install the tank, and run the lines to the furnace.

So, im heading up there tomorrow to set up the system for winter operation.

Now please keep in mind, that this is a cottage, and people are only here on the odd weekend, so for the majority of the winter, the system is going to be just used to keep cottage water lines from freezing.

So i have already determined i will set my cutout at 2 degrees C for our switchover. I have installed an outdoor sensor for the switchover.

A couple questions i need answers for.

1) Thermostat set backs.

Considering we will not be here most of the week, if i set my thermostat to maintain lets say, 12 dgrees C, is this going to be ok? Then when someone comes up for the weekend, they can just jack it up to 19C, this would bring on my propane.

2) New Tank start up

So the gas company never fired the furnace after installing tank, all i know is the tank is full. Whats involved in firing it up for the first time, do i just open up my shutoff valve, and measure my "wc at the burners? And then purge it until LP is present?
    Not sure what may be involved as it depends on if pipes are connected or not. If our company does tank only and not interior piping, then we install the regulators and shut off the tank. Someone may have to do a pressure test inspection on the lines. If we do it all then we fire off the equipment.

3) Automatic backup

If i have our system set for heat pump, and propane back up, if there is an issue with the heat pump, or the furnace, will the system automatically run the backup? Let say the furnace locks out due to a press. switch fault, will the heat pump automatically kick in and humm away? My biggest concern here is having a breakdown on my propane, and pipes freezing, as we just did 100,000$ of remodeling.
    There may be no automatic switch to the furnace if heat pump fails, but once the stat differential is reached and if the lock out is not active, it will run furnace.

4) im thinking of possibly setting my switchover to -5C, any comments on this?
    not sure the heat pump is good down that low.

Also, the furnace is a 2 stage, should i run a jumper from w1 to w2 to maintain my 11"wc? or is LP ok to run on low fire?
    as for W1 & W2, how is the unit set up? is it a single stage stat with board control of second stage or 2 stage stat with it controlling stages?

either way you are maintaining the 11" at the incoming side, manifold pressure is the only change, just like a natural gas unit.

make sure LP change has been done. I think this unit requires a gas valve, not a spring change!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    use a honeywell iaq prestige with a wifi that way you can monitor the temp and operation

Post Likes
    Switch to the IAQ or better. Then set the heat pump lock out at -15C and the furnace lock out to 5C, and set for a 2 degree droop. That way when no one is there and teh temp is set to 60, the furnace won't be running needlessly. HP should be able to maintain temp most of the time. Plus when someone gets there and turns the temp up, it will switch over to the furnace to recover, so your not waiting all night for the HP to recover. And then the next heat call will use the HP again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in