Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On a serious note:

I think beenthere creates accounts to either
    A: get people to give out DIY advice.
    B: Get people to be beligerant.

Either way, he gets to hand out points.

There is no way any person could honestly believe they can DIY a furnace, and not even know you need to PVC vent a 90% furnace.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

hmmmm

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-28-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Jamesjacksonvillefl, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    On a serious note:

There is no way any person could honestly believe they can DIY a furnace, and not even know you need to PVC vent a 90% furnace.
    LOL. Even Mods aren't allowed to have more then one account.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    On a serious note:

One question though, if I am doing a PVC pipe for vent and intake, how many ups and dips and right and left turns are allowed before the vent reaches the hole in the wall and then comes out to vent. Seems one cannot vent a furnace to the front of the house in my condo, only back of the house is allowed. Hence the zig zags and ups + downs in the venting route until the final exit from wall is attained.

By the way, my plans were never to DIY the furnace installation. I just wanted to do the 80-90% of the work so that when I call HVAC pro, then I can hopefully avoid majority of the charges, pretty much leaving the Pro to connect last 2-3 wires and get the furnace going.

ups and dips as you refer to them are not allowed on most furnaces.....you must maintain the manufactures specifications for slope back to the furnace.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by ricj6 View Post
    One question though, if I am doing a PVC pipe for vent and intake, how many ups and dips and right and left turns are allowed before the vent reaches the hole in the wall and then comes out to vent. Seems one cannot vent a furnace to the front of the house in my condo, only back of the house is allowed. Hence the zig zags and ups + downs in the venting route until the final exit from wall is attained.

By the way, my plans were never to DIY the furnace installation. I just wanted to do the 80-90% of the work so that when I call HVAC pro, then I can hopefully avoid majority of the charges, pretty much leaving the Pro to connect last 2-3 wires and get the furnace going.

Which makes it a 80 to 90% DIY install.
    Contractor locator map

While we're at it how about some free advise on the trade or job you do everyday to feed your family OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got some more info regarding High efficiency furnaces. They are better off venting horizontally as exhaust given out is not too powerful to climb upto the Chimney. Also, when making a connection with another gas appliance it nullifies the "positive pressure" only effect of the exhaust and thus furnace exhaust risks taking a U turn instead of venting to the outside.

I just needed this or such information to take right decisions. Hence, HE furnace should have PVC gas and water tight pipes only and they should not share the vent with any other gas appliance. Thanks all for the inputs.
    Thats not why you vent horizontally. A HE furnace can vent in either direction.

A HE Furance is not intended to be common vented into a galvanized natural draft flue. The ID fan on it si intended for a dedicated exhaust vent. It has enough force to push the air back out the hot water heater, or at least cause the water heater to back draft. You cannon common vent HE or power vent appliances because hte fane would fight each other and cause too much back pressure and again potentially back venting into the home. Additonally, HE furnaces have lower flue temperatures, which means the water vapor in the flue gases is condensing, and that condensation is acidic, so it will eat away at galvanized pipe.

IF your not goign ot hire a pro, at least find an installation manual online and read it. IT will tell you the minimum basics of a safe installation. Sadly, some less skilled pros out there could use to read the manuals too.

GAS APPLIANCES ARE DANGEROUS! venting that improperly can kill you and your family by carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and the risk of fire.

Now for my soap box... Personally, I think natural draft appliances for hte most part should go away. I know that can be installed safely, but there's just too much potential for problems IMO. Direct vent or power vent is the only way to go IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    While we're at it how about some free advise on the trade or job you do everyday to feed your family OP?

accounting...........DIY or near DIY on projects is my major hobby or rather priority.

Btw, forums like these are awesome! Thanks again to all for excellent inputs. God Bless to all!!

There is a thread on here where a HO DIYed the gas line into his new furnace, turned it on and luckily went out to dinner. The photos are amazing, the furnace sat in the basement on one end and you can see the siding buckled about half way down the house. I hope someone can find this tread, maybe it will knock some sense into this guy.

2 hrs ago I watched a guy hauled out in a body bag for CO poisoning. OP it can happen

accounting...........DIY or near DIY on projects is my major hobby or rather priority.

Btw, forums like these are awesome! Thanks again to all for excellent inputs. God Bless to all!!
    If you live in a condo, you might want to let your neighboors know what your doing.

With your wide experience in accounting, they might be wary of you installing your own equitment, since you'll kill them too.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast