"I've been running my furnace for years without a filter, it runs better without one"

That caught your attention, right?!
    When my brother-in-law started asking me about his furnace problems of course one of the first things I asked him was: "Is your filter clean"? His response was that years ago he took his filter out because the air wasn't coming out like it used to. After a drug-out conversation at our family get-together I finally gave up and pulled his son aside and suggested he help his dad out, he's not thinking clearly. Oh, boy..... For Years he hasn't run his furnace with a filter.

if it's an old furnace; heat only application_no issue with what they're doing

not all your post have to be in this forum
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Fortunately my bro-in-law didn't have an evaporator coil to serve as the filter.

When I've posted on some other forums I get my message deleted since Im not yet earned my stripes. I understand completely. I guess Im just not quite sure yet which ones I can and can't reply to. I'll get it eventually.
    Thanks
    Mark

plenty of older customers in these parts do the same-no coil, old furnace-no need for air filter. it does make the young guns head spin
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I have to admit that I was quite surprised when I replaced his furnace to find that the heat exchanger was clean and didn't look bad at all. BUT, I did tell him I would only change it for him IF he promised to always have a filter from here on.

haha caught my attention! I was surprised about how some of the older furnaces dont have an air filter. Then again I am a newbie

This question does not belong here in this section, Thread Closed