new trend in companies hiring
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new trend in companies hiring

a few months back i was offered a job at a mfg plant as a in house hvac guy. i declined as they wanted me to take a pay cut and they wanted me to give my two weeks and let them call my manager before the deal was finalized. i had another opertunity crop up and again they would like to talk to my manager before finalizing the deal.
    what is going on???? who would quit there job to let there new empolyer call there current boss. you could get canned for looking for a new job and loose out on the new job for one reason or another.

I concur

Everyday I see and hear about these contractors doing this crap to employees, or in this case potential employees, I count my blessings that I have one hell of an awesome employer and I am anchored to my job.

This crap is, well... Crap.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Sounds nuts ...

sounds like they'll get a great tech...

I know managers that would recommend a problem tech just to get rid of them and make them someone else's problem ....and they would badmouth a fantastic tech because they are upset and feel betrayed because he wants to leave and move on
    mikeacman

Why not just fire the problem Tech?

Just seems very dangerous to allow a potential employer to talk to your current employer. Best case scenario you boss understands this is a business and treats it as such worst case scenario well you quit your new employer calls your soon to be old employer and you get screwed

Wow! This reminds me why I should be so glad to have worked where I do for the last 28 years. Before this job I was where you probably are right now. I saw a few 'cutthroat' kind of games out there where people got hurt and reputations got ruined just because someone didn't like someone else. It had nothing to do with their working ability, just personalities. That's just wrong!!!
    I'm sorry it's part of human nature.

I'm happy where I'm at but it doesn't mean I don't keep an eye out for a better Opertunity. But I wouldn't risk losing it for something not guaranteed. That was my point. I always thought talking to a new hires employer was off limits during the hiring process.

I'd say they can shoved it up theirs. it will cost you the job, told the hiring manager that it's all confidential. if he wanna talk to your current boss, there better be a signed iron clad deal. because most likely once them talking to your current employer you will b a goner. they must just follow the newest trend that these business schools doled out every now and then. how old is this HR person?
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

The one job I turned down it was a lady about 30 years this recent one never even got that far. He asked in an initial email to be able to talk to my employer. I promptly told him to pound sand.

Isn't it illegal for an employer to give any information other than yes he worked here, yes he works here or no he his is no longer employed here?

Ya,. Its illegal but what's going to stop them.

The problem is not with the employer bad mouthing you, it's the possibility of getting laid off/fired due to looking at another job before having something lined up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast