Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 25 of 25
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,311
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I dont know how they do things in your folks area but around here I think the list of potential jurors is taken from the property tax rolls.

    You normally wont find a bum or a wino on a jury unless he owns a home... now you might find an alcoholic or two....or three...
    Here, they compile lists from DMV & Voter registrations.
    We all know how well they check those backgrounds out.
    Any breathing idiot can be called to jury duty here. Perhaps that's why so many show up that can't speak english.
    And here- sole proprietor used to get you off- no more.

    For the record- serving is something I would never try & get out of.
    However- I think it would be a good idea to pool more of the unemployed to serve.

    As for pro jurors go- what's the difference? A juror who doesn't want to be there (or is a racist) or one doing a favor for someone. It's all corrupt in some ways.
    You think a jury of your peers is uncorruptable?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Here, they compile lists from DMV & Voter registrations.
    We all know how well they check those backgrounds out.
    Any breathing idiot can be called to jury duty here. Perhaps that's why so many show up that can't speak english.
    And here- sole proprietor used to get you off- no more.

    For the record- serving is something I would never try & get out of.
    However- I think it would be a good idea to pool more of the unemployed to serve.

    As for pro jurors go- what's the difference? A juror who doesn't want to be there (or is a racist) or one doing a favor for someone. It's all corrupt in some ways.
    You think a jury of your peers is uncorruptable?
    yep, you want out of Jury Duty, DON'T register to vote and DON'T own a car.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  3. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    yep, you want out of Jury Duty, DON'T register to vote and DON'T own a car.
    That's why my wife isn't registered to vote.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Here, they compile lists from DMV & Voter registrations.
    We all know how well they check those backgrounds out.
    Any breathing idiot can be called to jury duty here. Perhaps that's why so many show up that can't speak english.
    And here- sole proprietor used to get you off- no more.

    For the record- serving is something I would never try & get out of.
    However- I think it would be a good idea to pool more of the unemployed to serve.

    As for pro jurors go- what's the difference? A juror who doesn't want to be there (or is a racist) or one doing a favor for someone. It's all corrupt in some ways.
    You think a jury of your peers is uncorruptable?
    When I lived in Orange County there was a 4 year period where I got called up ever year. Three times a the court in Fullerton, once for the Santa Ana court. The one in Santa Ana was for a murder trial that was expected to last for six months. When called up I simply explained that I was under doctors care for a back injury (which was true) and needed to stand up every hour or so (true also). They attorneys promptly released me.

    I've heard you can tell them your an alcoholic and they will excuse you. Perhaps take a shot or two before going in for the selection process just to add some realism; unless of course you are one anyway.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    When I lived in Orange County there was a 4 year period where I got called up ever year. Three times a the court in Fullerton, once for the Santa Ana court. The one in Santa Ana was for a murder trial that was expected to last for six months. When called up I simply explained that I was under doctors care for a back injury (which was true) and needed to stand up every hour or so (true also). They attorneys promptly released me.

    I've heard you can tell them your an alcoholic and they will excuse you. Perhaps take a shot or two before going in for the selection process just to add some realism; unless of course you are one anyway.


    I would NOT suggest that, The judge can issue a bench warrant if he finds out you drove to court smelling of alcohol. You may not be legally intoxicated, but it will ruin the rest of your day
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    4,168
    They have a very good bus system down there.

    The parting shot was somewhat tongue and cheek. Even so, what's the worst they gonna do? Keep you around for a while and fine ya. If your not willing to serve, the above would probably earn you a life time ban.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    They have a very good bus system down there.

    The parting shot was somewhat tongue and cheek. Even so, what's the worst they gonna do? Keep you around for a while and fine ya. If your not willing to serve, the above would probably earn you a life time ban.
    point taken although I think you are right, any conviction would probably get you dismissed very quickly
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,311
    I think I've been served a notice by mail every year for at least the past 10 years. In most cases, I call in 24 hours before and am excused by recorded message. Used to be if you didn't register to vote- you never heard from them. Then they started using the DMV's list & that all changed.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I think I've been served a notice by mail every year for at least the past 10 years. In most cases, I call in 24 hours before and am excused by recorded message. Used to be if you didn't register to vote- you never heard from them. Then they started using the DMV's list & that all changed.
    In NY, you will be called every 6 years (or maybe it's 5) I have been called 3 times since 1995, twice I had to show up.

    I have to call in tonight to see what happens in the next week. If I get dismissed from this call, I think Im good for 5 or 6 years
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,261
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I think I've been served a notice by mail every year for at least the past 10 years. In most cases, I call in 24 hours before and am excused by recorded message. Used to be if you didn't register to vote- you never heard from them. Then they started using the DMV's list & that all changed.
    Same thing in GA... used to be only voters... now it is DMV also.

    I have served only once in the 22 years I have lived in GA (Gwinnet County). I have been released once, due to being self employed, that was almost a decade ago...

    You guys are probably about to give me bad luck on this... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

  11. #24
    Only been called in one time...wore my minister's tab collar at the time as I had just recieved my ordination. Every day they'd call me to the bench, see the collar, smile and say, "You're excused for the day." One of the jury pool leaned over to me on day 4 and whispered, "Damn, I need to get me one of those collars,..."
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,639
    Got called about 5 years ago,Had a letter from my Doc.that I had a frequent urination problem.Got a clerk that thought he was a big shot,nasty as hell.But got off anyway.Six months later got called again,got my doctor to write the same note.Guess what,I got the same guy and he remembers me,now it's mid summer cell going off every 5 min.This guy is giving me a hard time,nasty again!Finally he say's whats the matter dont you want the $40 a day.Well saw red I Yell at the top of my voice,Take your $40 and stickit up your as*I make XXXX a day.He yells back,your in contempt of court.I went out of the room spoke to some guy who runs the court in his office,they called him in on it.They took me off the list,have not been called since

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event