Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,527

    Jury duty- your take

    Called for jury duty
    Did my duty.

    However, I noted & listened to all the complaints.

    12% unemployment, yet it seems everyone there has a job. Fair?

    Women were bringing their toddlers & allowing them to misbehave & run amok. Every one of them said couldn't afford babysitter & all were excused.

    Surprised at how many showed up & said couldn't speak english (many races) & were dismissed on their word.

    Failure to appear to a jury summons is punishable by law. Yet- they are mailed out general postage & many toss in the trash. Shouldn't a signature be required?

    Financial burdon no longer an excuse. Agree or disagree? Used to be 1 day- not anymore. You could wind up on a long trial!

    I was in jury selection. During lunch & breaks, the accused out on bail was mingling & speaking w/ prospective jurors prior to going back in court. Bailiff wasn't concerned.

    My jury selection for 12 jurors & an alternate lasted 2 days. Really? 2 days lost & never made it to trial?

    Saw many prospective jurors comparing stories to be excused. Most popular were health issues or they thought the accused looked famaliar. The second one was guaranteed dismissal.

    One guy was excused when he told the attorney if he was selected to serve on jury, the accused would pay for him missing work.

    I saw only 3 people in the room who's job paid them to be there. The rest had to depend on the 15 bucks a day plus mileage (doesn't count for 1st day)

    In the end- I found the experience very interesting.
    However- excluding me- looks like the dreggs of the earth showed up for jury duty!
    Very few ( I could count them on one hand) wanted to be there- the rest hated being there.
    All I know- I'm NEVER breaking the law. No way I want any of these idiots on my trial!
    Jury of your peers? Really?

    There's got to be a better way.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,845
    I did a posting drive by..... I thought about going down the line and replying to every single thread..... it would be a line of corny over on the right hand side of the screen at last post by..... Might try that in the morning if I get up early enough.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    777
    I just did US district court Jury duty for 2 full weeks, that's right, when the feds call you, your done for 10 days. I got it reduced to 6 days because I just started a new job and told them I could not afford it.

    I live 30 miles away, and then have to pay $5.00 to park, and then to lose my daily pay was a burden to me.

    I know some employers pay you for the time you are at court, but I think they should either make all employers cover your pay while you at jury duty, or up the pay from $25.00 to 100.00 a day. $100.00 a day would be reasonable and make it less of a burden on people, I think people would have less of an issue if it did not put such a burden on them.

    I was lucky and did not get picked for a case, but at the same time I would have like to I think, but what if I got selected for a case like the OJ or Casey Anthony case. $25.00 a day does not cover my bills.

    So in my mind Jury Duty is a Burden, and the question here should be ideas on how to reduce the burden of jury duty.

    There is an Atlanta state court Judge that has issued arrest warrants for people that fail to appear for jury duty. So you get cuffed and stuffed on your next traffic stop, or they show up at your home with your one way ride to the open arms hotel.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.


    insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2GA01 View Post
    There is an Atlanta state court Judge that has issued arrest warrants for people that fail to appear for jury duty. So you get cuffed and stuffed on your next traffic stop, or they show up at your home with your one way ride to the open arms hotel.
    If that happens, plead "not guilty" and demand a jury trial!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,624
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I did a posting drive by..... I thought about going down the line and replying to every single thread..... it would be a line of corny over on the right hand side of the screen at last post by..... Might try that in the morning if I get up early enough.
    Corny you don't need a reason to post gibberish on here we expect it of you right off the top. Why don't you choose an avatar which captures your essence, you know like Scrooge, definitely not Santa or maybe the Una bomber. LOL. Yeah that would be it. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,119
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Called for jury duty
    Did my duty.

    However, I noted & listened to all the complaints.

    12% unemployment, yet it seems everyone there has a job. Fair?

    Women were bringing their toddlers & allowing them to misbehave & run amok. Every one of them said couldn't afford babysitter & all were excused.

    Surprised at how many showed up & said couldn't speak english (many races) & were dismissed on their word.

    Failure to appear to a jury summons is punishable by law. Yet- they are mailed out general postage & many toss in the trash. Shouldn't a signature be required?

    Financial burdon no longer an excuse. Agree or disagree? Used to be 1 day- not anymore. You could wind up on a long trial!

    I was in jury selection. During lunch & breaks, the accused out on bail was mingling & speaking w/ prospective jurors prior to going back in court. Bailiff wasn't concerned.

    My jury selection for 12 jurors & an alternate lasted 2 days. Really? 2 days lost & never made it to trial?

    Saw many prospective jurors comparing stories to be excused. Most popular were health issues or they thought the accused looked famaliar. The second one was guaranteed dismissal.

    One guy was excused when he told the attorney if he was selected to serve on jury, the accused would pay for him missing work.

    I saw only 3 people in the room who's job paid them to be there. The rest had to depend on the 15 bucks a day plus mileage (doesn't count for 1st day)

    In the end- I found the experience very interesting.
    However- excluding me- looks like the dreggs of the earth showed up for jury duty!
    Very few ( I could count them on one hand) wanted to be there- the rest hated being there.
    All I know- I'm NEVER breaking the law. No way I want any of these idiots on my trial!
    Jury of your peers? Really?

    There's got to be a better way.
    Well, you are in California. So most of the rest of us are going to shrug and say "well". There is really nothing more we can do for you.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,527
    Please elaborate on the jury selection process in your state & how it differs.
    It's an honest question.


    What would your opinion be for professional jury members? People hired by the court system that actually want to be there.
    Gotta be cheaper than this mess.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    94
    My wife was on a jury where a man decided to try repairing the furnace where he was renting. He didn't tell the owner he was renting from that there was a problem. He apparently messed up the furnace vent to the point that carbon monoxide over came his family. Killed his two children and gave him permanent brain damage. His wife survived with no injury. Instead of taking a settlement hoping to get more from a trial it so happens that he had to take more of the blame which didn't do him any favors for a settlement.

    Your jury duty caught my eye and just reminded me about this incident. Please remind everyone you know to get carbon monoxide detectors and also remind those that have them to remember that they expire in 5 years time.

    Mark

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,693
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Please elaborate on the jury selection process in your state & how it differs.
    It's an honest question.


    What would your opinion be for professional jury members? People hired by the court system that actually want to be there.
    Gotta be cheaper than this mess.
    While I think that our current system of selecting a jury is not the best, I would be opposed to a professional jury system.

    Given the amount of corruption, influence peddling, nepotism, and favoritism that currently infects our political and legal systems, adding more money to it is a bad idea.

    IF, and this is a HUGE IF, corruption could be removed from the equation, and I don't believe that it is possible to remove corruption, then I would favor a professional jury system.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California/Nevada
    Posts
    3,642
    a professional jury system is a terrible idea.

    i used to avoid jury duty for years.
    even the letters that read "you must respond" all went in the trash.

    but then i realized, all of us who still remember the Constitution should be going to jury duty.
    it's actually a good thing so many people ditch out.

    for example, no matter what law the government passes against carrying a weapon, it's unconstitutional, therefor i would never vote to convict someone of it.
    committing a crime with it is a different story.

    i might have saved people from unconstitutional laws.
    even though, these days, when they don't get the outcome they want they just re-try the case

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,193
    I think Wolfie has a point... those of us who understand what the USA is about (understand the founding documents and intent of the writers of same), should do our duty if we can.

    I have been on a few long trials (2 weeks was the longest one)... it was an interesting experience as well as educational.

    While I think professional jurors is a bad idea... I do kinda like the idea of requiring an employer to pay wages while the employee is on duty. Wonder how us one-man-shops will get our share...

    OTOH... I also think there should be some kind of test to verify prospective jurors understand the Constitution and legal system before being qualified. Letting derelicts and winos serve is, IMO, a bad idea.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I think Wolfie has a point... those of us who understand what the USA is about (understand the founding documents and intent of the writers of same), should do our duty if we can.

    I have been on a few long trials (2 weeks was the longest one)... it was an interesting experience as well as educational.

    While I think professional jurors is a bad idea... I do kinda like the idea of requiring an employer to pay wages while the employee is on duty. Wonder how us one-man-shops will get our share...

    OTOH... I also think there should be some kind of test to verify prospective jurors understand the Constitution and legal system before being qualified. Letting derelicts and winos serve is, IMO, a bad idea.
    I dont know how they do things in your folks area but around here I think the list of potential jurors is taken from the property tax rolls.

    You normally wont find a bum or a wino on a jury unless he owns a home... now you might find an alcoholic or two....or three...
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    14,310
    Oddly, Im on Jury Selection "stand by" as I type. I had to call in Friday night after 5pm. My Jury number is A-766.

    All jurors from A-001 through A-450 must report Monday Morning at 7:30am, There is a means of being paid for your service if your employer does NOT pay you to be there (it's $40/day + mileage) there is no compensation for parking.

    all Jurors from A-451 through A-750 must call in after 9am Monday to see if they will be called the following day

    All Jurors from A-766 {me} through A-1000 must call in after 5pm Monday to see if you will be called for the rest of the week

    If you do not respond it's a mandatory $1000 fine and possibly 1 year in jail.

    so around here, people at least show up.

    Now for my funny jury duty call from 10 years a go:

    I had to go to the court house as I was in the top 400 jurors. NO ONE IN NYS IS EXEMPT FROM JURY DUTY----NO ONE When I got there the presiding judge was the same guy that married me three years before. As luck would have it, I was in the gallery and I was sitting next to Supreme Court Justice Starkwether (That would be CHIEF JUSTICE STARKWETHER ) the guy should have been a comedian as we sat there all we did was tell jokes and we had the entire gallery laughing there asses off. Any way I digress: Judge Bristol (the guy that married me) asked anyone in our section to stand up and give your excuse as to why you should not be there or why you should be excused. Chief Justice Starkwether immediately jumped to his feet and said "Your Hon......" Judge Bristol cut him off and said "You, sit down and shut up, I know your schedule and you stuck" {obviously they know each other) everyone started laughing, even the presiding attorneys. Starkwether said "But, But, But" Judge Bristol said with a smile "do I have to hold YOU in contempt" The Chief Justice sat down, looked at me with a smile and said "your screwed"
    I stood up and Bristol looked at me before I could say anything and said "I know you", there ENTIRE COURTROOM went "ut-ooh" in unison. I said "Yes sir you do" Bristol started snapping his fingers contemplating where he knew me from and He said "Barb, your wifes name is Barb, Don't tell me, I got this, Jeff, your name is Jeff. I said "Damn, your good" He said "Hows the marriage going, any kids" I said nope, Im to old to be chasing kids around we are doing great. Judge Bristol said "I recall your some kind of contractor correct" I said Yes sir, Heating contractor and it's 15 outside and I have customers that will be calling my competition if I don't go get there heat on" Judge Bristol Looked over his glasses at the Prosecutor and the defense attorney and said (all most daring them to say something negative) "either of you guys have a problem with dismissing Jeff" Both of them were looking at there feet, shuffling and shacking there heads NO.
    Judge Bristol Looked over at me and said "Say Hi to Barb for me, have a nice day, hope you get everyones heat going"
    I said Thank you sir, I'll be happy to tell Barb you said Hi, then I looked at Chief Justice Starkwether, shook his hand and said Nothing personal sir, But I hope to never see you again, in a court room anyway" Judge Starkwether "said " I understand completely, have good day".....and I was GONE!!!

    actually I would love to sit on a Jury. I think it would be a blast. But being a sole proprietor, thats a sure ticket out of Jury duty
    LOVE has four letters

    So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event