Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No shirt, No shoes, No service

Just a sign I noticed at Waffle House. They have lots of signs posted. Basically saying they do not discriminate bases on religion-gender-sex orientation-color-nationality- they go on and on about how they do not discriminate. Customers or employees. And they will not ask for advance payment for a meal, that is one of the posted policies too.

Yet they will throw you out in the street I guess if you have misplaced your shirt or are too poor to afford shoes?

That sounded like some pretty heavy-handed discrimination to me,.. so I got to the shop and googled a few links:

http://www.blogher.com/no-shirt-no-s...need-revamping

http://societyforbarefootliving.word...fairly-recent/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_...stead_of_pants

I guess I just don't understand people. I prefer to deal with machines and electricity which, by comparison, are fairly predictable in behavior and usually do things that are logical.

Anyway, Waffle House has signs posting everywhere along the wall bragging about anti-discrimination in the same signs posting direct discrimination. That struck me as odd. It seems to me that people are going to discriminate no matter what, they just do. "Politically Correct Non-Discrimination" is just another word for "LIAR". Or "LIAR LIAR PANTS On FIRE".

Everyone discriminates. Everyone has biases and prejudices. Everyone is prejudiced. I have never met anyone who is not prejudiced. Until people become honest with their actions and natural mechanisms they will never improve intellectually to a point where they can make any significant societal gains involving unfair or undue prejudices.

I figure everyone is prejudice, and the overwhelming vast majority of people are dis honest.

It's not so much that I don't like people,.. I just don't understand them. Or, [in the voice of dale gribble] maybe I do.
    ___

not to insult waffle house, just a 'case in point', I eat there often stuffing myself with bacon and sausage and eggs and extra bacon. Asd for everyone else I insulted, you are on your own. shirt-n-shoe thing is not personal, I always have shirt-n-shoe.
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 10-27-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: I left out some insults, my bad.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I think you should put on some Buck Owens vinyl, pull up a picture of Minnie Pearl on your laptop, sit back in your lazy boy and have a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Your thinking too hard.

I agree that everyone has prejudices on some level, and everyone is capable of being dishonest given the circumstance. For instance, if I had 6 beers and got pulled over I would say....I only had a couple. NOTE: I do not do the above, but if I did, I can see myself lying about it.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I think you should put on some Buck Owens vinyl, pull up a picture of Minnie Pearl on your laptop, sit back in your lazy boy and have a Pabst Blue Ribbon. Your thinking too hard.

I agree that everyone has prejudices on some level, and everyone is capable of being dishonest given the circumstance. For instance, if I had 6 beers and got pulled over I would say....I only had a couple. NOTE: I do not do the above, but if I did, I can see myself lying about it.
    Buck Owen's? Sure. Can't link the minny pearle response I have due to rules here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZhM75aGMg

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I have a couple points to toss out for discussion. one is the fact that some people have feet that honestly smell bad and without shoes on could be very offensive in an environment where people are trying to eat a meal. Factor in also the fact that some people could have medical issues with their feet athletes foot or ingrown toe nails which could pose a public health concern.

prejudices on some leve

No, my thinking is they [prejudices] are wildly active at all times on every level among humans. Not just prejudices against, but also for. I guess it is natural. But my problem is with people who would tell me my prejudices are wrong while theirs is correct.

I think I am entitled to be prejudiced, and unashamedly so, if my prejudice is merited by fact and not some hysterical hate. Everyone is prejudice, I am too, I am tired of hearing about it as a bad thing. Maybe I do not like muslims, do they like me? Maybe I do not like queers, do they like me? Why should I be ashamed of my prejudices when they have their own in equal measure?

It pees me off. I am by any measure a fair man, I can spread hate and anger equitably among all people of any hate-worthy category.

And yes, I may be over thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    I have a couple points to toss out for discussion. one is the fact that some people have feet that honestly smell bad and without shoes on could be very offensive in an environment where people are trying to eat a meal. Factor in also the fact that some people could have medical issues with their feet athletes foot or ingrown toe nails which could pose a public health concern.
    Wrong.

Foot odor is not as bad as BO or a public farter. Why not a sign 'farters will not be served' ? Stinky people stink with or without shoes or shirts, Athletes foot is basically a fungus, people with shoes can just walk over it. Ingrown toenails is hardly a public health concern. Did you think that was contagious or something?

actually I did think the fungus could be transferred to the floor and to another barefoot.

Shirt and shoe requirements are usually promulgated by the local health dept. who will revoke their license for non-enforcement. However, pants and grippies are not on that list I guess everyone can go swinging free... Not sure if they have regs. yet against changing baby diapers right next to my table but I will handle that matter quickly if it ever comes up. If public flatulence causes you undue stress, treat it like a drive by and return fire.

I have no problem having a meal next to a homosexual, black, white, Mexican, Muslim, Pagen, Polygamist, Biker or anything else you can think of. But frankly is is just downright unsanitary to have someone with their nasty dirty feet exposed or their hairy crusty sunburned chest near me while I am trying to eat....

My standards are low, but I do have standards.

It takes a real whack job to call the no shoes no shirt rule discriminating. Just my humble opinion.

Discriminating would be if you would not serve the person because of what was printed on the shirt....

Do you know what they say about stupid rules? They are in place because a stupid person did something stupid.

EDIT; To add to this thought/s look at it from the point of the business owner, what if there were constantly shirtless transients coming into the establishment without shoes or shirt (or for that matter pants), does he/she not have a say in what they need to do to preserve their potential income?

Think it over.
    GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Who remembers this song from the hipster days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7cP3ij5g

Actually I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwnAs4iwaE

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    Who remembers this song from the hipster days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Q7cP3ij5g

Actually I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwnAs4iwaE
    Jesus, Are you older than dirt?

I am sorry, but your music selection sucks.

I want to hear something a little more snappy. Or at least see some hooters.
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 10-29-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Jesus, Are you older than dirt?

I am sorry, but your music selection sucks.

I want to hear something a little more snappy. Or at least see some hooters.
    Is that why you are against no shirt no shoes? You're hoping a hot woman will come in topless?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast