Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We got a guy at work his van is spotless not one thing even on the floor. It baffled me, maybe I'm a slob I thought. I just took like everything I own out of my truck and started to put it away 4 hours later Its neat and tidy then I tealize the stuff I pulled out of the back is still sitting there and I don't know where to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    We got a guy at work his van is spotless not one thing even on the floor. It baffled me, maybe I'm a slob I thought. I just took like everything I own out of my truck and started to put it away 4 hours later Its neat and tidy then I tealize the stuff I pulled out of the back is still sitting there and I don't know where to put it.
    There's a guy I work with armor-alls the back of his van. How he manages that you ask? He doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    There's a guy I work with armor-alls the back of his van. How he manages that you ask? He doesn't work.
    Hell id be lucky to find a spot to armor all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's got tons of used parts on his van too.....he's a major parts changer. I don't know how he has any room for anything either. On the other hand I do, he ONLY works on boilers.

You can have time during jobs or at the end of jobs here and there but that can be hard too. When I was working for an oil company I did mostly tune ups and had the time. But we were given a good amount of time to come to the shop and get parts and clean our trucks something like 45 mins and to me that was to long to try to kill time. One thing I found that was helpful was having a good size garbage can. I use to use a 5 gallon bucket but that sucked I later found these drums they had to be like a 10-15 gallon metal drums, perfect size to hold garbage tall skiny great. They had them for something like automotive fluids or something.

I think it depends what your working with as well. I had another company and they gave me a ford ranger. The truck was so small and you had to carry so much it was sad to call a service truck. Orginize that was a joke.

My suggestion is spend time on the weekend orginizing it or do it every morning at the shop. The shop I work at now, I dont have a van, but we come back from the job to set up for the next day about a half hour before its time to punch out or a half hour in the morning for me these will be my key times to clean my van and get it ready for the next day

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    He's got tons of used parts on his van too.....he's a major parts changer. I don't know how he has any room for anything either. On the other hand I do, he ONLY works on boilers.
    That's how you keep clean "specialize". I can't fit everything I need to fix/install everything. Sometimes I wish I didn't do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    That's how you keep clean "specialize". I can't fit everything I need to fix/install everything. Sometimes I wish I didn't do so much.

This is where I'm at too. Being versatile goes a long way towards keeping me busy during the slow season. But it's a lot of parts.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    You can have time during jobs or at the end of jobs here and there but that can be hard too. When I was working for an oil company I did mostly tune ups and had the time. But we were given a good amount of time to come to the shop and get parts and clean our trucks something like 45 mins and to me that was to long to try to kill time. One thing I found that was helpful was having a good size garbage can. I use to use a 5 gallon bucket but that sucked I later found these drums they had to be like a 10-15 gallon metal drums, perfect size to hold garbage tall skiny great. They had them for something like automotive fluids or something.

I think it depends what your working with as well. I had another company and they gave me a ford ranger. The truck was so small and you had to carry so much it was sad to call a service truck. Orginize that was a joke.

My suggestion is spend time on the weekend orginizing it or do it every morning at the shop. The shop I work at now, I dont have a van, but we come back from the job to set up for the next day about a half hour before its time to punch out or a half hour in the morning for me these will be my key times to clean my van and get it ready for the next day

Right on the money, somthing to put garbage in helps a lot. When I clean my van half the stuff on the floor is either empty boxes, used parts, or pieces of paper I don't need.

I could not do anything service wise with out something like a trash can. I used alot of cement buckets so I kept them and started using them for small things like old oil nozzles, I saved them for extra cash at the scrap yard!

I have a LWB 1 ton Chevy Express... with custom built shelves (wood... yeah it is heavy) in the back. Literally everything has a place, it was carefully thought out when I built it, and when I am through with a tool or anythign else... it goes back in its place (NOT thrown in the van). I bought a bunch of cardboard parts bins (4 sizes) from Grainger, lots of them on the shelves. Every Spring I shift out the heat stuff and add the AC stuff... and in the Fall the AC stuff goes out and heat stuff goes in (well not all, but some).

I do think a combination of on-going effort along with every 3-4 weeks doing an all afternoon clean is necessary.

And STILL I find I want more space... I think space is just one of those thing.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I use an old compressor box. The one I have now was a 30 ton scroll and you can fill it with so much stuff that you can barely lift it!

Cleaning after each job is the best way I've found.

Edit - tapatalk upload messes with rotation for some reason
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast