+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping van organized

Post Likes

Keeping van organized

I clean my van then about a week later it looks like a tornado hot it and stuff is everywhere. I guess I'm disorganized overall but wondering how people set up their trucks to stay organized. Maybe I carry to many parts but its tough. We do so much. I need parts for air conditioning from a 2 ton split to a 100 ton package and refrigeration from 1 door reach in cooler to racks. Then throw in ice machines and parts for multiple manufacturers and we have a hot side department so I got a few things for when I'm on call.

Post Likes
    Trust me dude. this is a day to day thing. I clean my van daily, but on those busy days where we are all flying from job to job i end up cleaning up my van either at the end of the day or the beginning of the next day. the only thing i can suggest is... to put the stuff back the first time and your truck will never be messy. which is never the case!!! and the gf hates it when i come home and my pockets are full of little things like marrets or small pieces of wire or even a tool. dumping it on the counter at home is never a good solution laf. Now i have a little box at home where i dump all my stuff into and sort it out later.

Most cases i clean my van every saturday morning. while finishing off the paper work to hand it in first thing monday morning. so when i arrive at work on monday everything is cleaned and ready for the boss to look at.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

Post Likes
    I put everything back in its place when the job is completed. It is the only way I can work.
    Doug

Post Likes
    anybody wanna share some pics i need ideas on where to put stuff.

Post Likes
    I discussed this with myself earlier this week , a clean van requires a helper , lol. When I was in management I gave my guys a paid hour every Monday morning to clean up ...no one appreciated it , lol ( damned if you do ).

So , I'm back in a truck now and I refuse to do this on my time ( different company however ). I set the van up on my time I have gone over and above. When I can't find what I need the van gets cleaned ...and it's never a convienent time.

Post Likes
    I have racks to hold my torch, nitrogen, bottles of oil, and refrigerant tanks. I have a bar to hang my gauge manifolds on, and I have a bin hanging by the door to keep small parts in. Keeping that stuff in its place takes care of half the battle.

Post Likes
    An old timer told me once...

"They pay me to take my tools out of the truck, they will pay me to put my tools back in the truck"

If it takes me into overtime I am keeping my truck tidy, it's the cost of doing business.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Between hot and cold side, its nearly impossible to keep it organized.

I need a box van.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    anybody wanna share some pics i need ideas on where to put stuff.
    Name:  DSCF0817.jpg
Views: 7949
Size:  51.8 KBName:  DSCF0818.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  60.9 KBName:  DSCF0819.jpg
Views: 4071
Size:  56.9 KBName:  DSCF0820.jpg
Views: 11916
Size:  67.0 KBName:  DSCF0823.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  55.2 KBName:  DSCF0824.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  35.5 KBName:  DSCF0825.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  64.5 KBName:  DSCF0826.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  51.0 KBName:  DSCF0827.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  45.5 KBName:  DSCF0828.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  48.2 KB

Post Likes
    I clean my van then about a week later it looks like a tornado hot it and stuff is everywhere. I guess I'm disorganized overall but wondering how people set up their trucks to stay organized. Maybe I carry to many parts but its tough. We do so much. I need parts for air conditioning from a 2 ton split to a 100 ton package and refrigeration from 1 door reach in cooler to racks. Then throw in ice machines and parts for multiple manufacturers and we have a hot side department so I got a few things for when I'm on call.
    Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    Trust me dude. this is a day to day thing. I clean my van daily, but on those busy days where we are all flying from job to job i end up cleaning up my van either at the end of the day or the beginning of the next day. the only thing i can suggest is... to put the stuff back the first time and your truck will never be messy. which is never the case!!! and the gf hates it when i come home and my pockets are full of little things like marrets or small pieces of wire or even a tool. dumping it on the counter at home is never a good solution laf. Now i have a little box at home where i dump all my stuff into and sort it out later.

Most cases i clean my van every saturday morning. while finishing off the paper work to hand it in first thing monday morning. so when i arrive at work on monday everything is cleaned and ready for the boss to look at.
    It's a continual work in progress the way I see it. I'll try to be as diligent as possible and put everything back where it goes, but inevitably I'll pick up inventory at URI one day and not put it away - or neglect to properly replace a tool.....next thing you know I've got stuff falling out the door when I open it.

The vans are loaded to the gills as it is and it doesn't take but a couple things being out of place to avalanche into an outright mess.

I just try to stay on top of it as much as possible and take the time to rot it out when necessary.....which I should be doing right now instead of hanging out here.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    It's a continual work in progress the way I see it. I'll try to be as diligent as possible and put everything back where it goes, but inevitably I'll pick up inventory at URI one day and not put it away - or neglect to properly replace a tool.....next thing you know I've got stuff falling out the door when I open it.

The vans are loaded to the gills as it is and it doesn't take but a couple things being out of place to avalanche into an outright mess.

I just try to stay on top of it as much as possible and take the time to rot it out when necessary.....which I should be doing right now instead of hanging out here.
    Completely agree. You have to put it up as you go or whenever you get a chance that next day.

The best times to do a reorganization project is while pulling refer out of something or while the vacuum pump is on.

Post Likes
    I gave up along time ago. I try my best, but I always seem to have to much stuff in my van. I just try to be vigilant about garbage and trash.

The worst is......nice slow pm day. You stop and pick up 9 cases of filters at the supply house. Your half way to the job site and you get pulled to run a service call. 3 days later, you're still riding around with 9 cases of filters.

Post Likes
    I think your either a person who keeps there van clean or your a person who can't. I for one can't, I clean it when I can but I steadily turns into a trash heap. I clean it then the cycle continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We got a guy at work his van is spotless not one thing even on the floor. It baffled me, maybe I'm a slob I thought. I just took like everything I own out of my truck and started to put it away 4 hours later Its neat and tidy then I tealize the stuff I pulled out of the back is still sitting there and I don't know where to put it.

Post Likes
    We got a guy at work his van is spotless not one thing even on the floor. It baffled me, maybe I'm a slob I thought. I just took like everything I own out of my truck and started to put it away 4 hours later Its neat and tidy then I tealize the stuff I pulled out of the back is still sitting there and I don't know where to put it.
    There's a guy I work with armor-alls the back of his van. How he manages that you ask? He doesn't work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    There's a guy I work with armor-alls the back of his van. How he manages that you ask? He doesn't work.
    Hell id be lucky to find a spot to armor all

Post Likes
    He's got tons of used parts on his van too.....he's a major parts changer. I don't know how he has any room for anything either. On the other hand I do, he ONLY works on boilers.

Post Likes
    You can have time during jobs or at the end of jobs here and there but that can be hard too. When I was working for an oil company I did mostly tune ups and had the time. But we were given a good amount of time to come to the shop and get parts and clean our trucks something like 45 mins and to me that was to long to try to kill time. One thing I found that was helpful was having a good size garbage can. I use to use a 5 gallon bucket but that sucked I later found these drums they had to be like a 10-15 gallon metal drums, perfect size to hold garbage tall skiny great. They had them for something like automotive fluids or something.

I think it depends what your working with as well. I had another company and they gave me a ford ranger. The truck was so small and you had to carry so much it was sad to call a service truck. Orginize that was a joke.

My suggestion is spend time on the weekend orginizing it or do it every morning at the shop. The shop I work at now, I dont have a van, but we come back from the job to set up for the next day about a half hour before its time to punch out or a half hour in the morning for me these will be my key times to clean my van and get it ready for the next day

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    He's got tons of used parts on his van too.....he's a major parts changer. I don't know how he has any room for anything either. On the other hand I do, he ONLY works on boilers.
    That's how you keep clean "specialize". I can't fit everything I need to fix/install everything. Sometimes I wish I didn't do so much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    That's how you keep clean "specialize". I can't fit everything I need to fix/install everything. Sometimes I wish I didn't do so much.

This is where I'm at too. Being versatile goes a long way towards keeping me busy during the slow season. But it's a lot of parts.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in