Post Likes

I'm in Central FL with a deep lake. Think geothermal would be worth the hassle?

Just bought a house on a lake that's 40ft deep.

Current unit is a standard heat pump, but it's 25 years old and I'm sure will not be nice to my electric bill, particularly since I like to keep it 70-72f in the house.

Temperature data from the agencies that check those types of things show the lake bottom is about 74 deg year round.

The deep part of the lake is about 500ft away, and the surface is about 25ft lower than the house.

Looking around on the internet it doesn't seem that the geothermal units are significantly more expensive.

Should I go geo? Or just K.I.S.S.?

Post Likes
    I highly doubt you'll get permission to run tubing out to the deep part of the lake or use a HP with a pump and dump to the lake. Geothermal is very expensive compared to normal air source heat pumps. There's more controls, pumps, etc. Plus the piping, and in your case (unless you own the lake) governmental permits and paperwork.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I highly doubt you'll get permission to run tubing out to the deep part of the lake or use a HP with a pump and dump to the lake. Geothermal is very expensive compared to normal air source heat pumps. There's more controls, pumps, etc. Plus the piping, and in your case (unless you own the lake) governmental permits and paperwork.
    That's one thing I couldn't find any info on at all -- government restrictions on use of the water and permitting.

The lake is a 'private' lake -- but in Florida pretty much all surface water falls under the authority of the applicable water management district.

Pump/dump would be the easiest and cheapest up front, but if I understand things correctly, would need a larger water pump because of the static head caused by the elevation difference between the house and the lake.

It sounds neat but I'm thinking it may be more trouble than it's worth especially considering the ongoing maintenance and potential for problems down the road.

Post Likes
    If a drop of that water touches anything FL regulates you might as well forget the whole plan. It'll be years of wrangling and paperwork, Eco-studies, wildlife and migratory studies, etc etc.

Just go air source or bury the loops underground near the lake. You may get all the benefits without all the hassles.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."