Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Music at a customers house

I want to get others opinions on this matter. Earlier this week myself and another guy were doing a 2 day job in a customers basement. My partner will often play music on his phone, songs with a lot of profanity. I personally don't care what he listens to but the customer was there and so were his young kids ( appr. 8 and 10 years old ). The customer was down there with us some of the time and kept giving him dirty looks. You could also hear it upstairs as it was turned up as loud as it could be.

To me this just seems unprofessional and makes the company look bad. In a rural area like ours, word of mouth advertising is more important than any other advertising. What do you think, am I way off base here or is this a legitimate concern.

Totally agree. I mostly manage commercial construction projects and don't permit loud or profane music on the site. Besides being repulsive to a lot of people, it can be distracting and unsafe.

Way out of line. If I found out one of my guy's were doing that he would get one warning and then be down the road.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

If I listen to music, I wear earbuds. Oddly enough it helps me concentrate. To your question, that's completely unacceptable. Surprised the customer didn't throw you out of the house....

I would have thrown you out of my house. Your boss needs to pay closer attention to the actions of his employees. When that homeowner bad mouths your company to his friends, who in turn pass that on to their friends,etc...

One other thing to think about....you now are guilty by association. If the boss won't handle it, it might be time to handle it yourself.

ncboston...... Exactly what I was thinking! I grew up in this town/county and still know a lot of people here. I was raised three blocks away from this house. I don't want to be apologetic for other peoples bad judgement.

ryan1088...... I have never been the type to run to the boss about other employees. Besides that he knows what hes like, he warned me about him when I got hired. He is always arguing with our boss, and is on his way out I think. I'm sure you know the type, hes always right and if you don't agree with him you're an "idiot".

This guy was out of line. It's a matter of principle for me, no matter if you're at work or on the street; why should everyone else be forced to listen to whatever you want? Most of the people who drive around with their windows down and their stereos turned up just want attention and for people to look at them. Now, with the advent of iphones, androids, and ipods, people bring their music with them everywhere and they believe the same behavior is also acceptable in the grocery store or wherever they are.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I can understand you not wanting to running to the boss, but this guy is very detrimental to the company. You say this guy is on his way out, maybe it wouldn't hurt dropping a bug in the bosses ear if the customer already hasn't. If I were the customer with two young children, I'd be on the phone while the two of you were working on the unit.

Were in a service profession ,,,not the entertainment business...

100% unprofessional IMO...

Earbuds maybe .... Playing music or talk radio at a job site with paying customers present is a bonehead move and reeks of jackaasivness....

its about as stupid as putting political stickers on your work trucks ...

A service professional should remain as neutral as possible in all aspects ... Music ,politics ,opinions etc.
    mikeacman

common sense is not so common after all

ANYTHING in a customer's house should be approved before doing it; music, bathroom use, areas to enter, etc.

this jerk and the job would have been lost if it were my house and I have kicked out a couple people for things like this. I called their bosses, refused payment for services and received swift and sincere apologies. I am not sure what would have happened in these cases if it occurred in today's world.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

yep...... bad form.... i would not allow it.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast