Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I honestly have no idea what the dvj is, just busting franks' chops.

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    i am not in NY but my card says DVJ MES
    I have no idea what DVJ means? I still make $46 an hour with $22 benefit package 3 pensions and pay the same dues as everybody else!

MES is mechanical equipment service

we do not have A or B
    I believe DVJ MES means:
    Division Trades Journeyman - Mechanical Equipment Service
    We do it right... after lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Are what's called "Fitter" Locals a little bit more HVACR Tech friendly than what's called "Combination" Locals?
    One would expect a fitter's local to be less favorable for HVAC/R service technicians since the majority of fitters do not do service work. A service local or HVAC/R service local would be most favorable for HVAC/R service technicians.

The label, combination local is used in the UA Constitution to refer to a local that is chartered to have both a Building Trades Division and a Metal Trades Division. Building Trades generally refers to the direct pipe crafts such as plumber, steam fitter, pipe fitter, refrigeration fitter, sprinkler fitter. Metal trades generally refers to indirect pipe crafts that support or assist the piping industry and/or specialized, niche, support, and sub-crafts such as marine pipe fitter, solar installer, mechanical laborer, irrigation fitter, residential sprinkler fitter.

In casual conversation, the phrase combination local is sometimes used loosely to refer to a local where more than one trade is represented eg., plumbers and pipe fitters. It can also be used loosely to mean a local where both project and service members are represented.
    We do it right... after lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by wundumguy View Post
    One would expect a fitter's local to be less favorable for HVAC/R service technicians since the majority of fitters do not do service work. A service local or HVAC/R service local would be most favorable for HVAC/R service technicians.

The label, combination local is used in the UA Constitution to refer to a local that is chartered to have both a Building Trades Division and a Metal Trades Division. Building Trades generally refers to the direct pipe crafts such as plumber, steam fitter, pipe fitter, refrigeration fitter, sprinkler fitter. Metal trades generally refers to indirect pipe crafts that support or assist the piping industry and/or specialized, niche, support, and sub-crafts such as marine pipe fitter, solar installer, mechanical laborer, irrigation fitter, residential sprinkler fitter.

In casual conversation, the phrase combination local is sometimes used loosely to refer to a local where more than one trade is represented eg., plumbers and pipe fitters. It can also be used loosely to mean a local where both project and service members are represented.
    Well, my friend, you seem more up to speed than the B.A. and B.O. from my home Local. They refer to "Combination Local" as one with Plumbing, Pipefitting, Pipe Welding and HVACR. Those same guys told me that Metal Trades is Residential or Light Commercial (under 25 TR or less the 3 stories/10,000 sq. ft.).
    In AZ, NM, OK, and TX all but one Local are Combination Locals, sometimes called a Plumbing Combination Locals. You had mentioned an HVACR Techs Local. Where does one exist? It seems like that would be the best option in this part of the country. It seems everywhere else HVACR is always with the Pipefitters.

We are strictly a HVACR local UA 787

abidah

in the union there are different classifications.

one guy may do piping and new construction.

one guy may repair residential HVAC.

one guy may do controls.

one guy may only work on large chillers.

to stay competetive they have different pay scales for different types of work.

faruk
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

im a metal trades journeyman in nyc and i do no residental all commercial high rise buildings

Quote Originally Posted by wundumguy View Post

According to this, how would any HVACR Tech doing Com. work be Metal Trades?

metal trades is a bad title for hvac service techs got to come up with a more accurate title for what we do, how about Mechanical Equiptment Service Technicians or even Mechanical Trades

Forget about the titles! $15/Hr. less than the Pipe/Steamfitters and Pipe Welders is just ridiculous. Not to mention 3 times less pension contributions. I think NYC is a prime candidate for an HVACR Techs only Local!!

your wright but what always got me is we fix things and keep nyc running what do fitters do run pipe how is this deserve 15 more an hour when we have to be alot smarter to get paid less anybody can run pipe we should be the ones making the most money

There's no way a Pipefitter or Pipe Welder can do HVACR work unless he went thru alot of training. At the very least an HVACR Tech Apprenticeship or trade school. An HVACR Tech can do Pipefitting or Pipe Welding work with little training.
    You're right about the demand. Some say Construction Journeyman deserve more pay because they're out-of-work frequently. I'd say get out of the Construction side and into the Service side. Honestly, you're being feed bull ish because Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and other markets have equal Jm wages be it Construction or Service. If you're in the same Local, there shouldn't be a difference - regardless of the trade.
    Of all trades in the UA, which is the one that generates the most revenue in Repair & Maintenance Service?

supertek, nice new verbage there, go sell some work would ya?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast