Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Columbia, SC pay scale

I am moving to the Columbia, SC area in 2014. Can anyone tell me what the pay scale is for the area with the following experience?

18 years heavy/light commercial & industrial HVAC/R as a service technician of which the past 6 years I have been the lead HVAC/R technician at a pharmaceutical company on the facilities maintenance team.

I would like to stay in facilities, but would also consider commercial service.

I may look in the Charlotte, NC area as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

This thread is relevant to my interest, following.

It's a crap shoot here man, pay scales are all over the place and it's predominantly residential based companies. Not much in the way of commercial, not at least compared to where I started in the trade. You've got a hell of a time frame planned out, how did you figure 2014 and why Columbia?

Current employer is closing our facility by Dec 2013. I lived in Charlote for a couple of years in the 90's, and I still have friends & family in the surrounding areas.

I live in California and can't afford to stay here, or retire here, so I am getting the heck out of here.

Columbia also has a lot of, and more to come, Bio-Tech companies which is my current background. I don't know how it is there, but Bio-Tech facilities jobs have a higher pay scale here due to some of the FDA requirements for regular preventive maintenances and so on. It is called cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) and is an FDA requirement for Bio-Tech/Pharmaceutical manufactures.

Raleigh has quite a few as well. but don't want to move there...

So no one knows what the approx pay scale is?

Why don't you Google air conditioning contractors in Columbia and get on the phone to some of them? Or call the supply houses in the area and see what they can tell you. Every supply house around here has a dozen or more job postings on their bulletin board.

Yea, tried that...except the parts houses...

I went on Indeed.com and emailed 4 employers that have jobs posted and asked them...not a single response...not asking for specifics...just a range...for instance, with my skills, experience and job history, in the Bay Area of California, the pay scale or range (maybe that is what is confusing everyone) is $35-$45 an hour for commercial service, and $25-$35 an hour for facilities maintenance. Some areas have a little higher ranges, some a little lower, but that would get me in the ball park for South Carolina if someone could give me that kind of information.

I figured the best source would be those working in the field...guess not...didn't know it was going to be this difficult...

You have to remember SF bay area has one of the highest pay scales in the country, along with it's cost of living. I would be willing to bet you could lower those ranges by $10-15/hr. for Columbia, SC. Maybe this article from CNN Money will help give you an idea of the cost of living in Columbia.

Thanks...Yes, I know the Bay Area has a high pay scale, not expecting to make the same out there. Just want to get out of California...the sooner the better...sucks to make the money I do and always be broke...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis66 View Post
    ..sucks to make the money I do and always be broke...
    Don't move across the country for the money.

Its the same thing here just on a lower scale.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Not doing it for the money, that is for sure, but I believe I can get more bang for my buck back there. Housing is far more affordable, and for what I paid for my house out here, which doesn't even have a garage, could buy me a pretty nice spread back there ($225,000) and I don't even live in the more expensive area.

I really don't like the way the state is run, and I don't see any improvements any time soon. The people, my family, the environment, are just a few of the many reasons.

But all in all, I just like it better back there, and since California has, and probably never will, given me any incentive to stay, I am happy to leave! I have family back there that I have never been able to spend time with, so that is another reason.

I think a lot of people look at California as a great place to live because of the weather, and honestly, for me anyway, that is the only reason worth staying for, and that just isn't enough of a reason to stay...

Im in Charleston, SC and the pay scale is about $20 - $25 for commercial techs. I would think that columbia is about the same.

Elvis, if you are still checking this look on my profile for contact info. I would really like to talk to you.

CRussell1975, I was wondering if you do strictly commercial and industrial refrigeration, and maybe Einstein or CPC control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast