+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Undersized Liquid Line

Post Likes

Undersized Liquid Line

What impact would an undersized (1/4") liquid line have on a 2T 410a goodman heat pump's pressures in heat mode? I know it would cause elevated head pressure, but to what extent? (500+ psi w/ 65F OA & 70F IA) Indoor coil is clean, checked both pistons,changed out dryer, airflow is good and I'm Still getting a gradual increase in head pressure until it reaches 500- 600 psi. Runs normally in ac mode. Should I be looking a little more closely at the reversing valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    That a tough one. I would think that the head pressure would build up in ac mode leaving backing the refer up in the condenser. So in heat mode samething but it would be backing up at the indoor unit and already metered by the time it gets to the outdoor unit ( where the high pressure switch is). Ofcourse I find a lot of times the way i view things tend to be the opposite.

Post Likes
    piercing valve at indoor unit will tell precisely how much.

Airflow.....good. check.

Id bet you are overcharged. This is a 5mm coil goodman unit. very charge sensitive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    piercing valve at indoor unit will tell precisely how much.

Airflow.....good. check.

Id bet you are overcharged. This is a 5mm coil goodman unit. very charge sensitive.
    I also recovered & weighed in the charge....sorry I forgot to mention that.

Post Likes
    weighted in charge to factory? if your liquid line is undersized did you compensate for this? if so how much?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
    I also recovered & weighed in the charge....sorry I forgot to mention that.
    R410A, 1/4" liquid is .19oz per foot, 3/8" liquid line is .54oz per foot. So factory charge would be an over charge if your line set is 15 foot. Over charge is what the head slowing climbing indicates. A bad RV wouldn't cause a slowly rising head.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kookster View Post
    What impact would an undersized (1/4") liquid line have on a 2T 410a goodman heat pump's pressures in heat mode? I know it would cause elevated head pressure, but to what extent? (500+ psi w/ 65F OA & 70F IA) Indoor coil is clean, checked both pistons,changed out dryer, airflow is good and I'm Still getting a gradual increase in head pressure until it reaches 500- 600 psi. Runs normally in ac mode. Should I be looking a little more closely at the reversing valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I may be wrong, but the velocities are higher with 410a than 22. Your liquid "may/should" be flashing before it hits the expansion device with an "even higher" velocity with the smaller 1/4' line. To get the charge where it will not trip the high pressure in the winter, may leave you short in the summer........
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    1/4 liquid line is ok for a 2 ton ,i suspect you are not moving enough air through the indoor coil

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in