Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hi guys,

I have a new Evolution system in place with three zones. One of the zones is not holding the set temperature properly. It will say it is 62 when the set point is 68.

When I have looked in the advanced diagnostics area, I see under "LAST TEN SYSTEM EVENTS" the entry "ZONE2 AIRFLOW LIMITED SHUTDOWN OCCURRED" and it says like 117 times!

I'm just guessing here, but does this mean that there are not enough vents or the vents that are there are too small? They are coming out to take a look, but as usual the more education I can have in advance the better.

I have noticed that you can turn down the max airflow to a particular zone. I would think this isn't what you really want to fix the problem?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

I am interested to hear what the pros say about this one. I am getting an Infinity 16 heat pump system with 4 zones installed next week. What is your model number for inside and outside unit? Furnace?

From what I have read on this forum, I think that it means that the system is shutting down because it cannot maintain the minimum required airflow. Which is probably, like you said, because the ducts are too small for that zone (static too high).

Did you get all new duct work installed that was designed specifically for evolution zoning? My understanding is that ducts need to be sized for 25% more flow than one zone system. Also need to be configured properly for your zones.

What did your contractor say?

Infinity Controller

Zone airflow limits
    1 Normal
    2 Normal
    3 Normal
    4 Normal
    If set at normal may want to make adjustment to low, in that area.
    Technician only:

Zoning check out
    Duct assessment
    sensor / damper check
    airflow limits

Duct assessment are performed automatically every 24 hours at 1:00pm/
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Re: Infinity Controller

Originally posted by aircooled53
    That will compound the problem and limit the airflow even further to that zone.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

could also mean,that the zone damper for that area is malfunctioning ,bypass damper not opening/closing right for that zone?......just a couple of thoughts,.......but you do need to call and have a service tech.,check it out

[Edited by too tall terry on 10-24-2006 at 08:58 PM]

Re: Re: Infinity Controller

Originally posted by jrbenny
    Did you bother to read the rest of the post , check out other functions.

Zone Check
    duct assessment
    sensor /damper check
    airflow limits

Well, since everyone else knows so much about how to fix your system online I would just say.

Have your system checked out by Factory Authorized Carrier Dealer..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by too tall terry
    could also mean,that the zone damper for that area is malfunctioning ,bypass damper not opening/closing right for that zone?......just a couple of thoughts,.......but you do need to call and have a service tech.,check it out

[Edited by too tall terry on 10-24-2006 at 08:58 PM]
    Infinity zoning does not use a bypass damper, in fact it will not work with one.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Re: Re: Re: Infinity Controller

Zone Check
    duct assessment
    sensor /damper check
    airflow limits

Well, since everyone else knows so much about how to fix your system online I would just say.

Actually, he does know how. He does it every day for a living and is very good at it. And he was correct with his answer.
    The alarm is due to the zone being too small to take the minimum amount of airflow needed by the system. The change you suggested would make it worse by closing the dampers even more.
    This is a duct/design issue, most likely by this zone being too small, a common mistake in zoning design.
    Your last suggestion was right on track.....call the installer. He is in the best position to remedy the issue since no one here can change a thing whether they know what is wrong or not.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Re: Re: Re: Infinity Controller

Zone Check
    duct assessment
    sensor /damper check
    airflow limits

I read your entire post. I didn't care to diagnose the problem as it is readily evident. I was hoping that the OP's post would engender some discussion before I jumped completely into the mix.

My point is merely that your suggestion to reduce airflow is incorrect. By tweaking the airflow to low, you will be further limiting the air that can be shoved down the duct. If anything, the technician may attempt to take the airflow setting to Maximum not low. By taking the setting to Maximum, the zone control panel will put all the air that's available down that zone if it's the only one calling.

I initially reduced the airflow from Normal to Low in one of my zones. I found that to not be such a good idea. I encountered several of the Airflow Limited Shutdown when I did that. I was attempting to minimize airflow noise when in high speed compressor. However, I would rather keep the equipment running and have a little grill noise (the grills in that area are all oversized hard wood flush mount) than have it tripping on Airflow Limited Shutdown.

Now, the OP I believe was complaining about the same area not maintaining temperature in cooling mode in another post. If you put these two posts together, it is readily evident that the duct is too small to be a zone on it's own.

TTT suggests a stuck damper. However, that can not be the case. The Infinity Zone System is able to detect a stuck zone damper. The UI conducts a duct evaluation every day at 1:00 p.m. During this evaluation, every damper is moved with the blower delivering a set CFM. As a damper closes, the change in static pressure is noted by the UI. This tells the UI that the damper is in fact operating correctly. If it doesn't detect a change in static pressure, the homeowner would recieve a system malfunction screen and be directed to call for service.

Also, as PS noted, the Infinity system does not use a bypass damper. You definitely don't want to apply a bypass to this system.

Finally, substitute the word Evolution where I used Infinity. I realized that the OP has an Evolution system after typing this post.

Wink

well said jr. you may not have a version 12, but you certainly know your Infinity equipment

Originally posted by phosgene
    well said jr. you may not have a version 12, but you certainly know your Infinity equipment
    Thanks. I think.

Version 12 gets installed later this week.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Infinity Controller

Now, the OP I believe was complaining about the same area not maintaining temperature in cooling mode in another post. If you put these two posts together, it is readily evident that the duct is too small to be a zone on it's own.
    That is correct. This same zone has been causing some headaches since we moved in. It definately sounds like there needs to be more capacity into that area. Even at low speed, the amount of air coming out the ducts seems insane to me (like blow your hair around standing near the duct insane).

I would be surprised if the area that is zoned is too small, however. It is an entire floor of our home, consisting of about 1400 sqft.

Is this type of shutdown triggered at a certain static pressure or is there some other variable used to determine when it would trip?

At this point I'm a little concerned because it was obvious the system was not designed properly to start with - sounds like someone just guessed. I don't want someone to just "add another vent in random location" until the problem goes away if there is a best practice here.

What is the "proper" way to resolve? Thankfully, this is the lower level of the home with a crawlspace under it with flexible ductwork. In my uneducated mind this should make it easier to fix than if it was one of the levels where everything was sheet rocked.

Thanks so much for all the great replies folks! I can't stand not knowing how things work, and I bought this system based on all the great things I have read about it on here -- just want it to work properly!

Jeremy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Infinity Controller

Zone Check
    duct assessment
    sensor /damper check
    airflow limits

I read your entire post. I didn't care to diagnose the problem as it is readily evident. I was hoping that the OP's post would engender some discussion before I jumped completely into the mix.

My point is merely that your suggestion to reduce airflow is incorrect. By tweaking the airflow to low, you will be further limiting the air that can be shoved down the duct. If anything, the technician may attempt to take the airflow setting to Maximum not low. By taking the setting to Maximum, the zone control panel will put all the air that's available down that zone if it's the only one calling.

I initially reduced the airflow from Normal to Low in one of my zones. I found that to not be such a good idea. I encountered several of the Airflow Limited Shutdown when I did that. I was attempting to minimize airflow noise when in high speed compressor. However, I would rather keep the equipment running and have a little grill noise (the grills in that area are all oversized hard wood flush mount) than have it tripping on Airflow Limited Shutdown.

TTT suggests a stuck damper. However, that can not be the case. The Infinity Zone System is able to detect a stuck zone damper. The UI conducts a duct evaluation every day at 1:00 p.m. During this evaluation, every damper is moved with the blower delivering a set CFM. As a damper closes, the change in static pressure is noted by the UI. This tells the UI that the damper is in fact operating correctly. If it doesn't detect a change in static pressure, the homeowner would recieve a system malfunction screen and be directed to call for service.

Also, as PS noted, the Infinity system does not use a bypass damper. You definitely don't want to apply a bypass to this system.

Finally, substitute the word Evolution where I used Infinity. I realized that the OP has an Evolution system after typing this post.
    sh!t,was i way off,i just A$$umed the INFINTY would be zoned like all the others,but when you gotta eat crow,well you just gotta eat crow....thanks for setting me straight,Plainspoken and my CUZ, JRBENNY.....you are the man!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast