Lenox Air to acetylene setup

I have been combing thru the forum to try to find out about air to acetylene setup like turbo torch. I got my small kit currently but I am trying to find out what type of solder I can use. I see about Stay Brite 8 but can I use 5% Brazing rods? I don't think I can because of the higher temp needed. But I haven't tried and I want to get something for practicing brazing currently. What you guys suggest? Currently in school we got oxy-acetylene setup with brazing rods.

I saw this forum thread but didn't get any info on Turbo torch setup : http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....rd-stick/page7

let me know what you folks suggest
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Air/Acet will work with braze 5%

Oxy/ acetylene is for brazing air/ acetylene for soldering, it will work but not nice

Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    I have been combing thru the forum to try to find out about air to acetylene setup like turbo torch. I got my small kit currently but I am trying to find out what type of solder I can use. I see about Stay Brite 8 but can I use 5% Brazing rods? I don't think I can because of the higher temp needed. But I haven't tried and I want to get something for practicing brazing currently. What you guys suggest? Currently in school we got oxy-acetylene setup with brazing rods.

I saw this forum thread but didn't get any info on Turbo torch setup : http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....rd-stick/page7
    Ox

let me know what you folks suggest
    Oxy/acetylene = brazing, Air/acetylene = soldering, it will work but not the desirable method.

Years ago we tried the "turbo" torch sets, and others like what you've shown. Finally just gave in and bought the oxy/acetylene torch sets. Now we've got a bunch of them and have no regrets at all. Work fine and keep spare tanks available for crews. If you take care of them you'll only buy the set once. But then again the company furnishes torch sets (and tanks as needed).

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Years ago we tried the "turbo" torch sets, and others like what you've shown. Finally just gave in and bought the oxy/acetylene torch sets. Now we've got a bunch of them and have no regrets at all. Work fine and keep spare tanks available for crews. If you take care of them you'll only buy the set once. But then again the company furnishes torch sets (and tanks as needed).
    Ya... Haha..I am kinda getting the same feeling. I got a pack of 5% brazing rod. Umm... takes a little while for solder to flow. But once it starts flowing I can move it around. But then again ... I am pretty sure there is easier way braze with a setup like this and I just have to figure it out. Loll. Practice makes perfect. LOL. I think currently the problem I am having is the feather like flame tip is too long. I think I need some other tips to braze. I read somewhere that a MSA-8 turbo torch quickconnect tip is really good and it gives a rosebud flame.

I've done a lot of 5% with a Turbo torch. Mostly potable water and medical gasses up to 3", but it works fine, just takes a little longer. For the bigger stuff you need the bigger tips, and boy does that thing scream.

I use a turbo torch for 15% braze rod. Just need the right size tip.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I use my turbo torch all the time for brazing or soldering. Granted, the largest units we braze are 5 ton, but they work great. They are also good for soldering when you have a pipe that won't quit dripping. Both have their place, it will really depend on if you plan to go residential or commercial.
    Pros: Relatively inexpensive, replacement parts at all supply houses, only one tank and regulator to keep up with.
    Cons: They are not as hot as an oxy setup, & they scream like a howler monkey.

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I use a turbo torch for 15% braze rod. Just need the right size tip.
    Whoa , 15%. The welding shop I bought the 5% braze rods from was warning me the 5% may not work at all. Let alone the 15%, he was like 'you can forget it!' But this is good too know. I am also going to try MAPP setup later on. Thanks for your guys replies.

Try practicing outside in the wind, with a wet rag on one side of the joint. Then imagine R&R a reversing valve. I'm not saying it can't be done, but your rag may be dried out and on fire before you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by zxcb View Post
    Try practicing outside in the wind, with a wet rag on one side of the joint. Then imagine R&R a reversing valve. I'm not saying it can't be done, but your rag may be dried out and on fire before you finish.
    Wood need to be a fairly large RV to have that happen. Which would mean I'd have to get a larger tip out to keep the rag from drying out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Oxy/Acetylene is the only way to go, IMHO. Turbo torches scream and take longer to heat the joint. Kinda like using a MAPP torch. I use 5% and 15%, Oxy/Acetylene gets it hot, gets if flowing, and gets you out before you start to boil your rag. Maybe since I don't torch as much as some of you, Oxy/Acetylene helps me make good joints.

I look at is like this. Air/Acetylene is like a MIG welder. Nice in the shop, sucks in the wind. Oxy/Acetylene is like GMAW (Stick) welding, universal and tolerant to weather extremes. With Oxy/Acetylene just carry cutting head, welding tips, and rosebud then with one set of bottles can solder, braze, weld, and heat!

CT

I've used a Turbo Torch mainly for 40 years and have been fine with 15% and most of the others. At times I've had to use Oxy/Acetylene but 98% of the time I just use the Turbo, wind or not. If you already have it, try it to see if it meets your needs.