Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single or Two Stage Heat Pump in ND

Post Likes
    Mrak

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-28-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: apology. No warning

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    What is the exact coil model number they intend to install, if you know it?
    Coil model CX34-36C-6F

Post Likes
    How about a Carrier Greenspeed Heat pump, but not hybrid heat... just all electric? Nice long cold winters is SD, might have a descent payback. IT will definitly add comfort with long run times all year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2425 View Post
    Coil model CX34-36C-6F
    That coil isn't an approved match with any of the heat pump models you were quoted. Ask your dealer to provide you with the AHRI reference number for the system he plans on installing. Here are some system matches using the CX34 coil:

XP17-036-230 (AHRI #5136874)
    CX34-49C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    13.2 EER, 16 SEER, 8.5 HSPF
    36,000 btuh cooling
    31,400 btuh heating

XP16-036-230 (AHRI #5137718)
    CX34-43C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    12.2 EER, 15.5 SEER, 8.7 HSPF
    36,400 btuh cooling
    34,200 btuh heating

XP21-036-230 (AHRI #5269025)
    CX34-49C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    13 EER, 17.7 SEER, 9 HSPF
    36,000 btuh cooling
    32,200 btuh heating

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I would not go with an air to air HP in N.D. If you can wait, I would install a split geo-thermal system. IMHO........
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Geo would be great if affordable. Otherwise I'd sure have an air source if I had LP heat.

Thanks for the heads up about geothermal. In addition to the 30% federal tax credit, North Dakota offers a 15% credit on state taxes (3% per year for 5 years).

I've called two companies that install geothermal systems and am looking forward to what they have to offer.

Post Likes
    Sizing and Installation become even more important on Geothermal. It adds a water side component similar somewhat to a boiler. Whereas a air source heat pump uses a fan on the condenser, which is preconfigured from the mfg., a geothermal needs a properly install ground loop, with adequate capacity (lenght of loops & proper backfill), then the circulation pumps much be sized and installed correctly. North Dakota is a fairly balanced climate, it's both very hot mid summer and very cold in winter (actually one of the most extreme climates in the US, next to parts of Alaska), so you'll have less of a compromise than you might for example have in Michigan, Canda, etc. where summers are more mild.

Post Likes
    I wanted to provide an update and thank all that replied.

I've decided to go with Option 1 - Lennox SLP98 and XP17. I feel very comfortable with the Lennox dealer. They were definitely the most responsive and helpful and I've heard good things about them.

I was able to get quotes from Trane, York & Lennox. Interestingly enough, two of the companies that I contacted for quotes (including the one that has serviced this furnace for years), haven't gotten back to me yet.

I looked into geothermal but didn't think it was worth the money for our situation. Based on the operating cost comparison I received, the payback time would have been at least 20 years based on current electric and propane prices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in