Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    B.L.

Dave........I just re-read ur original thread and you stated that the serviceman said ur inducer motor was going bad?

Is it making noises or getting too hot? What did he say was the problem with it?
    He said it's making a noise when starting up and that usually means that it's going to fail sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2425 View Post
    He said it's making a noise when starting up and that usually means that it's going to fail sooner rather than later.
    Have you listened to the inducer start? I would make sure it's not a slight vibration or out of adjustment.

I would not go with an air to air HP in N.D. If you can wait, I would install a split geo-thermal system.

IMHO........

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Geo would be great if affordable. Otherwise I'd sure have an air source if I had LP heat.
    I hadn't really thought about a geothermal system. I'll likely call my utility company to see if there are any local installers. The nearest ones I can find online or in the phone book aren't very close.

In the year that we've owned the house, our propane cost (includes hot water heater) averaged $95/mo and the electric was $80/mo. I plan to replace our current water heater with a Marathon model if/when we get rural water installed. I'll likely hook that up to our electric company's off-peak program. If I do that, rates will be $0.044 per KWH with a $5/mo controller charge.

I guess I just need to get a quote and see what the payback time frame looks like.

What times are off peak with your local utility? In our area only summer is eligible for TOU pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    What times are off peak with your local utility? In our area only summer is eligible for TOU pricing.
    There aren't any set times. It's all based off of system load.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-28-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Non AOP member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrak View Post
    I screwed up and hit the wrong button and my last comments went to "la..la.." land. But I was just guessing that you will probably have a heat pump with a 2nd stage heat with propane or natural gas? I thought N.D. got colder than what a heat pump can effectively heat. Maybe not. 45 degrees is a pretty warm winter, perhaps I should consider moving to N.D.

I think it's a very good idea to get as much efficiency as you can. So a 2 stage compressor, highest seer you can afford, variable speed fans and any bells and whistles that you can afford. The Wi-Fi T-stat may be unnecessary but it's something I would like.

I can't really suggest any particular brands. I'm more in industrial service and not so much involved with residential but I'm grateful for the research you've done since I'm trying to decide which unit I should buy when I finally replace my hvac that I've had since 1977. Good luck.
    Mark
    In most areas the payback time on high end equipment exceeds it's lifespan. You go to 15 SEER for energy savings, the 2 stage stuff is more for comfort than saving money on utility bills. 2 stage equipment is almost always oversized, killing any real world savings that would have been achieved by the higher SEER ratings.

Mrak

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-28-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: apology. No warning

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    What is the exact coil model number they intend to install, if you know it?
    Coil model CX34-36C-6F

How about a Carrier Greenspeed Heat pump, but not hybrid heat... just all electric? Nice long cold winters is SD, might have a descent payback. IT will definitly add comfort with long run times all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2425 View Post
    Coil model CX34-36C-6F
    That coil isn't an approved match with any of the heat pump models you were quoted. Ask your dealer to provide you with the AHRI reference number for the system he plans on installing. Here are some system matches using the CX34 coil:

XP17-036-230 (AHRI #5136874)
    CX34-49C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    13.2 EER, 16 SEER, 8.5 HSPF
    36,000 btuh cooling
    31,400 btuh heating

XP16-036-230 (AHRI #5137718)
    CX34-43C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    12.2 EER, 15.5 SEER, 8.7 HSPF
    36,400 btuh cooling
    34,200 btuh heating

XP21-036-230 (AHRI #5269025)
    CX34-49C-6F
    SLP98UH090XV48C
    13 EER, 17.7 SEER, 9 HSPF
    36,000 btuh cooling
    32,200 btuh heating

I would not go with an air to air HP in N.D. If you can wait, I would install a split geo-thermal system. IMHO........
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Geo would be great if affordable. Otherwise I'd sure have an air source if I had LP heat.

Thanks for the heads up about geothermal. In addition to the 30% federal tax credit, North Dakota offers a 15% credit on state taxes (3% per year for 5 years).

I've called two companies that install geothermal systems and am looking forward to what they have to offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast