HELP!!. To keep it short and to the point.

I live in Tennessee and my older sister lives in Sacramento, CA. She had her HVAC serviced for the fall and was told the heat exchanger is cracked. Her house was built in 1938, stucco, 1400 square feet. The unit she has now is 15 years old and is the typical roof top model, Trane. The HVAC company has recommended a "Day and Night", 3 ton unit, 14 seer. The cost is about $. Is she getting ripped off? What brand(s) would your recommend?
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-26-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: price

We cannot discuss price here per the site rules, you may want to edit that part out.

If you want my advice, get a second or even a third opinion. Spending the extra $$$ for an additional opinion has saved people from being taking advantage of.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

This a big problem with our society today. Everybody is so concerned about getting ripped off. The conudrum is this; First off, the overhead in California is far greater than Tennessee, especially when you have to add in all the frivalous lawsuits, then mix in the anal retentive PIA's that tend to coagulate in Cali. that are never satisfied no matter what you do. I am from Elk Grove so am not a stranger to this part of the country.
    When an individual goes thru life thinking they are going to be ripped off guess what they will be, for some strange reason they attract it to themselves. The best defense is to research the company and read their reviews of which are all on line if they have been in buisiness for a while.
    Always remember that the cheapest price is not the best deal, and will probably cost you or her more in the long run. To sum it up get a good warranty and learn about the company you are doing buisiness with. You will only get ripped off if you so not receive the value you are paying for.

I sincerely apologize. I realize my first post was not appropriate.
    My father was a detective in Sacramento for over 30 years. I grew up in Sacramento. I did not mean to offend anyone.
    Back to the main topic: Has anyone heard of "Day and Night" and is it a good unit? It is my understanding they are made by Carrier. I have not heard of this brand even though they are made in Tennessee.
    Your comments are appreciated.
    Thank you.

you are informed correctly, day 7 night is a carrier product; brands are somewhat territorial

now I'm going to turn that first post in to get the $$ removed
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I appreciate your advice. I made a few phone calls out to Sacramento. Was able to call HVAC company. They sent a tech out to my sister's house. There is nothing wrong with the heat exchanger. No crack, no problems. Unfortunately, the original company whom my sister has been using for 5 years has just lost a good customer.

rooftop package unt

Your sister should start budgeting for replacement of that rooftop package unit. The typical life span of those units is 15 to 20 years. So, she is entering that window now. Expecially is Sacramento where that unit gets a lot of fun time.