Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

laid off, need work

Title pretty much says it all. I show up to work this morning and get laid off. Will work for peanuts :'(

I thought things were busy down there in Texas?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Not if you do resi. Commercial is still going good. But the company I was at didnt have any commercial accounts. It was lots of home warranty work.

If you got laid off you can collect unemployment, sounds like you got fired since they didn't give you a two week notice.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    If you got laid off you can collect unemployment, sounds like you got fired since they didn't give you a two week notice.
    No company I've worked for has given two weeks notice when they laid people off. Guess its a state thing.

Keep your chin up and you will find something. This is a good trade, and a good tech is gold!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    No company I've worked for has given two weeks notice when they laid people off. Guess its a state thing.
    more like a union thing. More than that a courtesy thing, more than that thanks for your hard work thing, more than that good luck feeding your family thing.

I got laid off today aswell.......but I get to start school on Monday to better my HVAC career. If you are a solid tech should find work

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    I got laid off today aswell.......but I get to start school on Monday to better my HVAC career. If you are a solid tech should find work
    Did they give you a notice or just drop it in your lap as you waddled into the shop?

Waddled? Is the OP a penguin?
    -- Confucius

You were probably too good for home warranty work... they were not getting enough call backs!

All kidding aside, sorry to hear about this. I hope you find new work soon.

I kinda saw it coming a few weeks ago, but it was still a surprise. I was already floating out applications. I did apply for unemployment when I got home. And those home warranty companies are stingy. They don't pay for anything. Here's the funny thing though. I somehow got out of the shop with my gas card, the key to my truck. a stack of company invoices, and I was told to hang onto my work shirts. And a promise to get called back if it gets busy again. I was just the low man on the totem pole.

Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    I kinda saw it coming a few weeks ago, but it was still a surprise. I was already floating out applications. I did apply for unemployment when I got home. And those home warranty companies are stingy. They don't pay for anything. Here's the funny thing though. I somehow got out of the shop with my gas card, the key to my truck. a stack of company invoices, and I was told to hang onto my work shirts. And a promise to get called back if it gets busy again. I was just the low man on the totem pole.
    According to your avatar you are on top of the totem pole.
    Seriously sounds like you still have a job just enjoy you vacation.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast