+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changeing out 40 ton condensers

Post Likes

Changeing out 40 ton condensers

So i'm changeing out two 40 ton condenser and as always the customer did not want to pay to change the evap coils.
    Old unit r-22, new condeser 410. I've done this before on 5 ton and smaller units useing rx-11 to flush and a good triple vac with no problems. But I can't get a comfortable amount of the old oil out even with the flush. Anyone done this before that could give me some advise . I've only got a week to do this and the amount of oil left in the lineset and coil does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Post Likes
    $3000 dollars worth of rx-11 and there is still some oil left in the lineset and coil. I've been told your allowed 10% but I'm still a little worried.

Post Likes
    dont wanna change the evap but u are willing to spend 3000 dollars to flush old lineset and coil.. hmmm

Post Likes
    I'm not customer is. Not my first choice but they did'nt want to fork out the money. ( 2 new evap coils $ 118.000)

Post Likes
    Holy crap that's a huggggggee bit!@

Post Likes
    Was the old system a bad burn-out? If not, I don't see the need for that much RX-11, just plain nitrogen should be good enough (and about $2900.00 cheaper).

The importance of not mixing oils has been much debated on this site. I believe the general consensus is that it is not nearly important as it was first believed. Having a little mineral or AB oil in the system really shouldn't hurt anything.

Having said that, if you haven't done so yet, drilling a hole in the bottom of any suction line traps to drain out any oil that may be in them would probably be a good idea. Also isolate the evaporator from the rest of the piping, remove the txv's, and blow everything out separately.

If the unit doesn't have suction line traps, and too much oil seems to be settling into the evap, I would add them. Also make sure your suction piping isn't too big. Usually R410 equipment needs smaller pipe sizes than R22 equipment. This is also to ensure proper oil return.

Post Likes
    Pipe sizing is coreect according to Trane's install guide and all traps removed. I,ve even blown rag plugs thru lineset to remove oil. It just seems like there is more. Starting up first unit tomorrow. I have reclaim company on standby just incase anything looks weird. I hope that if we run it a bit and then suck it all out and recharge it 90% of the mineral oil should be out.

Post Likes
    Both units would burn out at least 2 compressor every 2-3 years on either circuit. Also condeser coil were gone, close to sea with now coating

Post Likes
    Ok Jay tell him what to do.

Post Likes
    Be sure to install big filter driers (liquid and suction) with pressure ports on both sides of them and plan to monitor and change them out as often as necessary until you are confident there is no more acid or junk in the system. I would be more worried about the acid and debris than I would about the separate oil types.

Post Likes
    Got it. Already done and thanks for the advise. I don't smell any acid in the system right now but I've already got two more sets of filters for both units,( liquid and suction).
    I'll post how it goes tomorrow and pray nothing major happens.

Post Likes
    You could get an oil refractometer to measure the ratio of mineral to POE.

I had a split system i started that was built to order and the water cooled condensing unit was filled with mineral instead of poe.
    yes ,I questioned it before startup and was ordered to start it .
    I had to do many oil changes but with that tool I was confident that in the end i was below 5% mineral oil .

If you've spent that much on flush a couple hundred dollar tool shouldn't kill the job.

Post Likes
    Captn - you have a high concentration of residual flush now as well.

If lineset is long you may need to cut in 50 - 75 ft length and flush from high spots to low always with gravity.

Lots of nitrogen and cutting lineset at low points is the only way that makes sense IMO.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the advise. I did cut out all the low spots and blew a rag- plug thru the line set. Started one side of one unit today and low and behold no problems. Will be hopefully start other circuits tommorow. I pulled a deep vac 4 times and introduced 410 each time to grab any moisture. Oil at compressers looks good and I am getting 40 degrees at evap coil.

Post Likes
    I have been down this road and I am still on it. I am in the process of replacing both compressors. Is it a Trane?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    Yes and I plan on changeling out compressor oil a couple of times just to make sure it's more poly than mineral

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captn-b View Post
    Yes and I plan on changeling out compressor oil a couple of times just to make sure it's more poly than mineral
    as I mentioned you could use an oil refractometer and know for sure ...

I will shut up now...

Post Likes
    I will be picking one up as you suggested
    I definetly see a diferance in the oil and have ordered poly oil in to replace . I just can't believe how expensive it is
    Thanks

Post Likes
    It is a Trane and new oil is 4 days out. I hope the compressors last that long there not acting up or over heating I just don't like the look of the oil thru the sight glass

Post Likes
    Allstar08,
    What were the problems you that you were having and how many times did you change the oil
    I noticed after the first day we had to drain some of the oil because the compressors were getting to full

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in