Best performing registers?

I need to replace a handful of old 12x6 ceiling registers. Is there a particular style, design, or manufacturer that will provide the best overall performance? Rather than trotting down to the local "big box store" and buying a few cheezy generic things, I'd like to get something that will make the most of the pricey system they're attached to.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

D.

Look into the Hart Cooley 821 and 831 series.
    It's what I have in my own house.

http://www.hartandcooley.com/Librari...inum.sflb.ashx

Hart & Cooley Engineering Data:
    http://www.hartandcooley.com/Librari...Data.sflb.ashx

(Ak) is the effective (sq.ft) free-air-area of the grille.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Look into the Hart Cooley 821 and 831 series.
    It's what I have in my own house.

http://www.hartandcooley.com/Librari...inum.sflb.ashx

+1. I installed one of these in a room with undersized branch and poor throw. Made a HUGE diffrence over a cheapo stamps steel grill. Including increasing hte boot size up to a 6"x14", it nearly doubled the flow at the same static pressure available on that branch and went from very noisy to silent.

I've preached many times that many balancing problems can be solved just by changing registers and/or increasing their size without modifying the branch and sometiems without even adding balancing dampers on the other oversupplied branches.

Adjustable curved blade registers for a ceiling supply are far better than stamped steel fixed blade equivalents in the same location. That said, the best register is the one that best fits where the supply outlet is, and how the air supplied to it should be introduced to the room. You can put a low restriction, curved blade model up where you have something less optimal now, but if it's not set correctly, or if it should be a three-way vs. two-way, for example, you still would not have the best register up there, in spite of spending more money.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

We use curved blade or 821's on ALL jobs.

My question is why do you have a pricey system w/ old stamped steel registers?

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    We use curved blade or 821's on ALL jobs.

My question is why do you have a pricey system w/ old stamped steel registers?
    The XV95 was just installed. Looking to optimize registers to get the most out of the pricey system.

D.