Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Which manufacturer RTUs do you guys recommend for a concentric install for an 18Ton load. This is for a wide open area application. Looking for standard efficiency unit(s) with reliable track record when routine scheduled maintenance is performed.

Is one unit a good way to go in terms of installation cost, efficiency and maintenance or is two units with one being a backup necessary.

I have installed rooftops units from Carrier , Trane , Lennox. AAon, York,ect. I feel the Lennox L-series is hard to beat. One unit is more economical to install than two; however if space temperature and down time is critical I would install two rooftop units.

Lennox & York are good, but I don't have as much experience with them as I do with Trane. 90% of my RTU's are Trane, and I rarely have any problems with them.

Aaon makes a nice unit, too, but they're high-$. Usually those are only used when you need a bunch of outdoor air that a regular rooftop can't handle.

I'd go with a single for 18 tons, myself. Once you get over about 20-25, the extra duct will be more than the cost of multiple units.

If you're using concentric drops, it doesn't really matter.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

There’s no such thing as bad units just contractors that are clueless when it comes to design. Having said that given a choice I would use Trane myself.

Core

Lennox L series would be my first chioce, but York and Carrier also make very good RTU's. I would go with two units, it will cost more to install, but if one goes down or maintenance is being done, you still have one unit in service.

L series is one of the best. It's has over 100 configurable points in the board you can use to custmize for the specific application. Splurge and get the interface and software it will make setup easier. We sell alot of L series with factory erv's that bolt on the side.
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

Lennox T series is a good RTU, unlike the L series units it does not contain all the intagrated circuit boards that contain some functions that you may not use like a central energy management system, communication buss and multiple configurable points for control of the heat ,cool and economizer. The T series uses the same compressor as the L series along with the same burner, refigerant flow controls and blower
    http://www.lennoxcommercial.com/prod...p?product_id=3
    "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music"

Ruud B series. But I may be a little jaded
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Talking

Pick the best supported manfuacturer in your area. Parts adn service after the sale are my big factor. Unless your the cheap bottom feeder, who under cuts everyone with off brand stuff. York, Lennox both good!
    An astronaut stuck in space was asked by a reporter, "How do you feel?"
    "How would you feel," the astronaut replied, "if you were stuck here, on top of 20,000 parts each one supplied by the lowest bidder?"

"do it right or do it twice"

Doctor is right. I rep Ruud and stock parts and offer support. Means a lot more than one would realize.... until a problem comes up.
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

I guess it must be Lennox L-Series. Since other companies start to copy the design.

Just, Aaon started that design long before Lennox. The Ruud B series is far different

Originally posted by hardwired
    Is one unit a good way to go in terms of installation cost, efficiency and maintenance or is two units with one being a backup necessary.
    What did the A/C system designer tell you?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast