Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Your still low. Like already pointed out you should have a good sized receiver. If its warm out your glass will fill but receiver will be empty so when headmaster starts throttling all your liquid gets stacked in cond coil and glass will start flashing. You can, and I would pull the charge and weigh it back in. Or keep guessing at it and give yourself grey hair. That's where mine came from.
    This looks like my answer. My receiver is the size of the refrigerant tank. There's not enough info on the condensing unit to get an accurate manufacturer - and the charge amount was written in sharpie, so it's not the first time its been serviced. For all I know, the 33lb could be low. It has a headmaster, and the rooftop temp at the time was 72. I wish I could've gotten the head pressure, but by then the guy had pulled the hi side off and was charging low side. Yeah, I shoulda put a high side gauge on and confirmed pressures, but by then we were wrapping up. Anyways, today I called and they told me the unit was still down in temp, but one these days I'm gonna go back and double check everything.

    Lesson learned - do your own follow ups, and if you can't, make sure the guy following up is doing it right.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_1963 View Post
    This looks like my answer. My receiver is the size of the refrigerant tank. There's not enough info on the condensing unit to get an accurate manufacturer - and the charge amount was written in sharpie, so it's not the first time its been serviced. For all I know, the 33lb could be low. It has a headmaster, and the rooftop temp at the time was 72. I wish I could've gotten the head pressure, but by then the guy had pulled the hi side off and was charging low side. Yeah, I shoulda put a high side gauge on and confirmed pressures, but by then we were wrapping up. Anyways, today I called and they told me the unit was still down in temp, but one these days I'm gonna go back and double check everything.

    Lesson learned - do your own follow ups, and if you can't, make sure the guy following up is doing it right.
    Stop by first thing in the morning. If temp is below 60 or so and glass is clear your probably ok. Good luck

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,556
    http://sporlanonline.com/90-30-1_072012.pdf

    I use this for charging systems with a headmaster control.

    If you've got a receiver in the system, charging to subcooling is a no-no. It won't work for you.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Stop by first thing in the morning. If temp is below 60 or so and glass is clear your probably ok. Good luck
    Actually, I misinterpreted this post.

    I would go by the charging guidelines from the manufacturer or Sporlan (in that order)

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Wrong... Forget subcooling when you have a receiver. Subcooling is what it is just fill the glass and add winter charge if needed.
    ^^
    Love to hear the eh cooling explanation though.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    412
    One should never use subcooling with a receiver in a system ? I did not know that .

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    I usually just add refrigerant until the compressor starts to rumble. That way I know I'm slightly over charged. Then block the condenser and let the auto reset pressure relief pop off, once it resets, your system should be correctly charged.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I usually just add refrigerant until the compressor starts to rumble. That way I know I'm slightly over charged. Then block the condenser and let the auto reset pressure relief pop off, once it resets, your system should be correctly charged.
    Lol.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by 54885488 View Post
    One should never use subcooling with a receiver in a system ? I did not know that .
    You can use it all you want... But it's not going to change after you fill the sight glass, unless you fill the receiver full of liquid and start to stack refrigerant in the condenser.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I usually just add refrigerant until the compressor starts to rumble. That way I know I'm slightly over charged. Then block the condenser and let the auto reset pressure relief pop off, once it resets, your system should be correctly charged.
    LMFAO... That's one way to add the winter charge... I bet there is actually somebody that out there that does this.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I usually just add refrigerant until the compressor starts to rumble. That way I know I'm slightly over charged. Then block the condenser and let the auto reset pressure relief pop off, once it resets, your system should be correctly charged.
    This reminds me of a dude that used to work where I do before I got there. The old supervisor tells a story of him soon a tune up on a 5 ton rheem split where he knuckled in the contactor and was watching the suction pressure. Of course it didn't go up so he adds refer. Keeps adding it until the compressor locks up, somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 lbs. Come to find out he didn't turn the air handler on. Lol.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DFW Metroplex
    Posts
    4,910
    Name:  New Picture.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  13.9 KB

    In looking at the above figure, the following may explain why you were seeing bubbles in the sight glass.

    As the system head pressure falls below the set point of the headmaster, the valve starts to modulate - closing off port C and opening port R by the same ratio. This results in refrigerant backing up in the condenser as discharge gas begins diverting directly into the receiver.

    Conversely, as the head pressure hits the set point of the headmaster, the valve starts to modulate once again - opening port C and closing port R by the same ratio....resulting in increased flow of refrigerant through the condenser into the receiver and restricting discharge gas from dumping directly into the receiver.

    More than likely while you were adding refrigerant to the system, the discharge pressure temporarily exceeded the headmaster set point and therefore refrigerant was not allowed to stack in the condenser - so your system was sufficiently charged.....briefly.

    Once you stopped adding refrigerant and the system was allowed to stabilize, the head pressure most likely dropped below the headmaster set point and refrigerant started stacking up in the condenser - and where you barely had enough refrigerant in the system before, now there simply isn't enough of a charge to both stack in the condenser and maintain a liquid level in the receiver.

    Start adding refrigerant again and the cycle repeats.....until such time there is enough of a charge to allow the headmaster to do its job and form a liquid seal at the outlet of the receiver.

    If you spend some time studying the figure and reflecting on how subcooling is derived, it should also become readily apparent as to why charging by subcooling simply is not an effective way to determine an acceptable system refrigerant charge.

    I haven't clicked on JPSmith's link, but I would imagine he is directing you to Sporlan's step-by-step procedure for properly charging a system such as the one you are working on.
    "The problem is the average person isnt tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and its not in the movies they watch, and its not in the few books that they buy, they dont get it" - Jack Canfield

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,556
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Name:  New Picture.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  13.9 KB


    I haven't clicked on JPSmith's link, but I would imagine he is directing you to Sporlan's step-by-step procedure for properly charging a system such as the one you are working on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event