+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on a hard start kit ( torque plus )

Post Likes

Need advice on a hard start kit ( torque plus )

First of all I wanna say I'm new here , so hello everyone and thanks for any help . There is indeed a lot of info here and seems to be very helpful people also ! Ok , to my question .. Went to check a unit today at a home and noticed that the condenser fan was running and the compressor would try to start but would not . I took the cover off to access the electrical and noticed first off that there was a DST-6 Torque Plus crammed inside . I pulled it out a little and noticed that it was leaking on the bottom .. ( awful smell to this stuff ) I don't know a whole lot about these things but guessing with this leak it has lost its charge ? Do these work like a large battery ? The capacitor on this unit is 35 uf just so you know . Thanks everyone !

Post Likes
    Look at it as a jump start, a little extra power boost to get it going

Post Likes
    Yes sir , would it be fair to say with it leaking like that it has lost all its charge and that is probably the main reason the compressor isn't starting anymore ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi_0_0 View Post
    Yes sir , would it be fair to say with it leaking like that it has lost all its charge and that is probably the main reason the compressor isn't starting anymore ?
    Some times you can just remove the blown start cap (DST-6) and it will start.

Do you have a meter capable of testing the run cap? It could be bad too.

You should test the compressor windings to make sure one isn't shorted or grounded.

Notes:

A capacitor is not a battery.

The capacitor shifts the phase of the current in the start winding relative to the current in the run winding of the compressor, increasing the starting torque.

Start capacitors are only meant to stay in the circuit for a short period of time during the start up of the compressor.

My opinion: Throw away the DST-6 and don't use another one. They, like their cousin the Supco Superboost, are pretty much worthless.

Use a KickStart hard start, or 5-2-1 compressor savor if you are not going to install an OEM start cap and potential relay.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Yea , thanks for the comments . I was thinking it could have a bad capacitor also but I would the meter to it and got a good 35 uf , which what it was rated for . As for as the hard starter it was bad , not sure what made it start leaking but after replacing it with a new one the compressor started right up .

Post Likes
    the start capacitor will be a much larger UF rating than the run capacitor. and only instantly help the compressor start. then it pulls out of the system until the compressor starts again. by shifting the compressor farther out of phase the compressor gets "more leverage to start" at least that is a good way of looking at it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in