Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    well said.............
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by cg2 View Post
    This jobs been on for about a year. wonder why they cant fill it?
    Probably because they are offering low wages even for a residential tech those wages are low and they are asking for a significantly higher level of training. (not knocking resi-techs)

The most likely highly accurate answer will remain the same which is why they are looking indeed. If you value talent, you keep folks happy and you do not have to work so hard at hiring them. That can range from benifits to shifts, but in this case it is clearly wages, not worth it for those who have the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    Probably because they are offering low wages even for a residential tech those wages are low and they are asking for a significantly higher level of training. (not knocking resi-techs)

The most likely highly accurate answer will remain the same which is why they are looking indeed. If you value talent, you keep folks happy and you do not have to work so hard at hiring them. That can range from benifits to shifts, but in this case it is clearly wages, not worth it for those who have the talent.
    Wow!! the man, the myth... the legend !!!

Ammonia is no more dangerous than regular refrigerants. I would rather NH3 than 123 anyday. The best thing about ammonia is that the smell tells you when it is time to go; until your sense of smell goes away. I loved working on ammonia but did not want to travel that much anymore to make the money. That price is way too cheap.
    I like to be called a mechanic, tech sounds like I am trying to dress it up. Tech is what the kids what to be called, they feel that they have failed if they are just a mechanic with their name on their shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech View Post
    I actually brought this topic up at our Refrigeration Meeting today, and I asked all my Refrigeration Techs if they thought there was a difference between a Ref Mechanic and a Ref Tech....needless to say this is a topic that Refrigeration "Folks" alike will NEVER agree upon. I had 50% of my Techs say that there was a difference and that they thought Mechanics were superior to Techs and the other 50% said the exact opposite. Interesting arguement none the less and a great way to shoot the bull for 30 extra minutes at your next meeting, but as a whole, I'm pretty sure Refrigeration "Folks" will have to agree to disagree when it comes to this topic. But either way, as long as they get the job done safely and the Systems runs properly, I could really care less what they call themselves.

Take it easy.
    I always thought Technicians meant more "technical" myself. While mechanics usually just do grunt work and get greasy. LOL Guess its all irrelevant. We just need to be well rounded and not afraid to do our jobs. And competent enough to stay alive. I used to be a field service engineer... Maybe thats better.... Lets not ask though. It will just open up a three way tie. LOL
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12