Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

BKV DD78/5407307 with a super heat of 74*

i think i have a freon leak, but my H-10B cant seem to find it...

that said i added freon to the system till it came out of the vacuume it
    was running in, only a couple ounces...
    here are some numbers:
    box temp..34*
    return gas temp..83*
    discharge temp..178*

8/180 psi

customer told me this unit is on its 3rd compressor(aea4440yxa)
    filter is hot (032)

could i have oil in the evap and or the condensing unit?

this bevaire keg cooler will run for 4-5 days then run warm from a leak..
    im going to psi test the thing to get the leak to show its self and run a
    cleaner through the line set

but..anything im missing?

74* SUPERHEAT AT THE COMPRESSOR, BEVAIR DD78

i think i have a freon leak, but my H-10B cant seem to find it...

that said i added freon to the system till it came out of the vacuume it
    was running in, only a couple ounces...
    here are some numbers:
    box temp..34*
    return gas temp..83*
    discharge temp..178*

8/180 psi

customer told me this unit is on its 3rd compressor(aea4440yxa)
    filter is hot (032)

could i have oil in the evap and or the condensing unit?

this bevaire keg cooler will run for 4-5 days then run warm from a leak..
    im going to psi test the thing to get the leak to show its self and run a
    cleaner through the line set

but..anything im missing?

p/s the high head psi maybe cause because i had the condensing unit out of its hole....

Restricted cap tube maybe?

What refrigerant?

filter is hot...box came down pretty nice when i added the couple oz of 134a..

180 / 8 doesn't sound right. 150 / 15 sounds better. Sounds like you are restricted and overcharged to compensate. That being said, you still may very well have a leak. Evaporator coils, cap tube to evaporator braze joints, and hot gas loops are common points to find a leak. Pressurize entire system to 200# with R22 & nitro and low and high side and see if you can't find it. If you can't, try 400 psi.

In reality, when these types of boxes have refrigerant leaks, it's very expensive to repair them. Although I do lots of coil replacements and cap tube replacements, in my opinion money would be spent better on a new box. Typically by the time the box has refrigerant leaks, it is in poor shape as far as the hardware & cabinet itself. I'm guessing you've got a greasy steel condenser, ripped up cardboard fan shroud, the inside of the box smells wretched, the grills and everything are likely filthy, thermostat is probably rusted and barely will turn, etc., etc. I'm also picturing that the sheetmetal inside the box is dirty, and if you press hard on the inside panels, water squeezes out from where it has leaked in the panels and has saturated the insulation. Maybe I'm just being negative, but that's typically my experience! Have fun with it!

trippint0, when i started the sytem up it was running in a vacuum..i added a couple oz to get it to 10 psi the head psi was a little less than 100 at that time.
    im going back saturday to pump it up to look for the leak as you suggested..ive done this once before, so i pulled a vacuum and recharged it so i knew what was in it..4 days later its running in a vacuum just like the 1st time i seen it..

this box is built into the building..........the condensor is in a bar and clean. the box is in good condition..
    if the cap tube was plugged why did the system come down in a hour or less??

Glad to hear that the box is in decent condition. Well, obviously if it pulled down to temp, then the cap tube isn't totally restricted. It's just that in my experience, for R134a, 8# suction is low. Usually I see 17-20# when box is hot and 12# when box is closer to temp. And 180# head sounds a little high. As far as pull down time, it depends on if the box is empty or loaded with product, and it depends on the size of the box in relation to the refrigeration system. On an empty box, 1 hour is a really long pull down time (unless it is a pretty big box...)

83*f return gas sounds warm - even if cap tube is strapped to suction line, usually I'll still at least see the suction line cold and sweating. And yes, having the condensing unit out of the hole will raise head pressure, since Bev-Air typically doesn't use fan shrouds on most models I've seen.

One way to check for restrictions, is to pull a vacuum, weigh in the charge so you know the charge is correct. Bleed high side liquid back in, etc. Then after a while, just pull the evaporator cover and look at the coil. If all the U-Bends are evenly frosted up, that is a great sign. However, if you have frost at the cap tube entrance or just the first couple rows of the evaporator and the rest is dry, you probably have a restriction. With an 8# suction pressure, I would expect to find either - 1) low on charge, 2) restriction. The only other cause I know of for low suction would be frozen evaporator, or evap fan blades on backwards, however with such high superheat at the compressor, this diagnosis is effectively ruled out.

Good luck!

*edit* I just read that you already weighed in the charge. Sorry I missed that before I replied.

* another edit * I will also add that I don't have a lot of experience with Bev-Air, so not really exactly sure what suction pressure should be with box at 34*f. Still with such a hot suction line, something seems "out of balance."

the box was empty..

ill call bevair tomorrow.

i just dont get why my high dollar sniffer cant pick up a leak.....if it does have a leak..

can u tell me what a evaporator with oil in it acts like?

If you can't pick up the 134, 22 and nitrogen should solve the problem. Paint coming off the u tubes on the evap? Does this unit have an accumulator attached to the evap? Sounds like a good sized leak if it needs recharging every 5 days. Double check the high side.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Pull the insulation off the suction line loop. Cap tube maybe leaking where its soldered to the suction line! Had one last week on a perlick! Took me a minute to find it. Only because i ran across the same sitiuation before that took me hours to find and lots of frustration.

What's this a keg cooler? Sounds like a restriction. I would replace the cap tube and drier and see where you end up.

beer keg cooler....i was thinking the cap tube too, but the filter is hot...

Your head is 180........why would your filter/drier be cold? Unless your drier was clogged solid.

PS- This is 134a...right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast