Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 27
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,543
    Bald makes really good point....about your ten year old Trane on "last legs". I'm not so sure I'd not want a second opinion myself about this 10 yr. old furnace.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Bald makes really good point....about your ten year old Trane on "last legs". I'm not so sure I'd not want a second opinion myself about this 10 yr. old furnace.
    A few things: it's an AC not a furnace, it's American Standard (not trane) and a few others in the neighborhood have gone and we're attributing it to the fact that they were original home installs (I'm sure the builder used builder grade units right???) Make more sense now?

    Some of you have mentioned passing your "tests". I wouldn't even know what to ask. Is it just sizing them up for comfort?

  3. #16
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,194
    American Standard and Trane are identical other than cabinet. Their builder models 10 years ago were the same as the good stuff except for sound deadening and warranty.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    American Standard and Trane are identical other than cabinet. Their builder models 10 years ago were the same as the good stuff except for sound deadening and warranty.
    OK well maybe people were confused because they were calling it a furnace? I dunno but out of 12 homes in the subdivision, 4-5 went in the past year and they're all 10 years old and same issues (pulling too many amps and leaking hoses). Doubtful based on the HVAC vendor reputation anyone is trying to "pull one over".

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    Homeowner314, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,194
    Losing units prematurely can be the installer. Sis's inlaws moved into a vinyl village and most of their Lennox heat pumps lost the Copeland scroll in a few years. Hmmm, Lennox & Copeland are good manufacturers, so what does that point to. But then if you ware thinking the short life of a good A/C was install related, I'm not sure I'd be wanting to deal with the same company!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Losing units prematurely can be the installer. Sis's inlaws moved into a vinyl village and most of their Lennox heat pumps lost the Copeland scroll in a few years. Hmmm, Lennox & Copeland are good manufacturers, so what does that point to. But then if you ware thinking the short life of a good A/C was install related, I'm not sure I'd be wanting to deal with the same company!
    Guess I an more surprised people are making these assumptions. I hear of tons of new home units going in the 8 to 12 year range depending on use. Vendor has good reputation so for people to be making those leaps with little info seems odd

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by fishman1 View Post
    Guess I an more surprised people are making these assumptions. I hear of tons of new home units going in the 8 to 12 year range depending on use. Vendor has good reputation so for people to be making those leaps with little info seems odd
    Whats your point? New homes are usually using an lowest bid hvac installer... well low bid everything, unless ecified otherwise. It called builder grade for an reason. Anything thats builder grade is the cheapest product that meets the bare minimum for code safety and shortbterm customer expectations. Some vinyl windows dont even last 10 years.


    Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    My point was pretty clear. People are jumping to conclusions without a lot of detail. Seemed odd. Got it?

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,989
    Many times compressor failure is due to improper refrigerant piping design/engineering for proper oil return to the compressor.

    Far too many ignore the proper refrigerant piping to get the desired vapor velocities & then slopes to achieve proper OIL Return to the compressor.

    Crankcase heaters can also help reduce liquid refrigerant migration into the compressor oil which causes it to foam out on startups...positive shutoff TXV's also help...

    Of course, there are a dozen other critical things many fail to tend to on the installs.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by fishman1 View Post
    My point was pretty clear. People are jumping to conclusions without a lot of detail. Seemed odd. Got it?
    I think most on hear have been around bad contractors and new construction enough, then when they hear that a new sytem is only lating 8-10 years, it's not unreasonable to suggest that it wasn't installed correctly. IF that's true, the installation issue could be repeated with a direct replacement if the installer doesn't pay attention to details. Line size, ductwork, how it's charged, equipment sizing (don't assume the builder sized it correctly) all play a role is a good, reliable installation. You location is somewhat moderate in terms of cooling degree days compared to a southern state, texas and central states so there's little reason if properly maintained, that a unit shouldn't last closer to 15 years, even builder grade.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,543
    Agree with Moto 100%.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I think most on hear have been around bad contractors and new construction enough, then when they hear that a new sytem is only lating 8-10 years, it's not unreasonable to suggest that it wasn't installed correctly. IF that's true, the installation issue could be repeated with a direct replacement if the installer doesn't pay attention to details. Line size, ductwork, how it's charged, equipment sizing (don't assume the builder sized it correctly) all play a role is a good, reliable installation. You location is somewhat moderate in terms of cooling degree days compared to a southern state, texas and central states so there's little reason if properly maintained, that a unit shouldn't last closer to 15 years, even builder grade.
    I completely agree. Existing installation issues should never be ruled out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event