Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever-Rest? Any insight on this brand?

I have a 4 ton 13 seer American Standard AC unit that's 10 years old and unfortunately on its last leg. I love our vendor (the original installer when the home was built) and they seem to prefer ever-rest. My problem is I am not at all familiar with this brand. I liked the lifetime compressor warranty but didn't even know if that was standard for the industry. Anyone know of this brand? Reliability and longevity are the most important things to me.

Looks like another rebadged Goodman/Amana unit. Nothing wrong with it. It's considered a pricepoint brand overall, but if installed correctly, the general school of thought is that it's just as good as the lwoer end equipment of any of hte other major brands. They do hit a nice pricepoint and offer communicating equipment, modulating furnaces and 2 stage AC units. They use a little bit chaper quality of materials in some cases and lower cost gas valves, so for example, their modulating and 2 stage furnaces have a lower turndown ratio. Where a Carrier, York or Trane might get to 35% in low fire, the Goodman is 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Looks like another rebadged Goodman/Amana unit. Nothing wrong with it. It's considered a pricepoint brand overall, but if installed correctly, the general school of thought is that it's just as good as the lwoer end equipment of any of hte other major brands. They do hit a nice pricepoint and offer communicating equipment, modulating furnaces and 2 stage AC units. They use a little bit chaper quality of materials in some cases and lower cost gas valves, so for example, their modulating and 2 stage furnaces have a lower turndown ratio. Where a Carrier, York or Trane might get to 35% in low fire, the Goodman is 40%.

That's great insight for someone like me who doesn't know much. So based on your response it seems that this and Amana are more "standard" units and Carrier, York and Trane are more upscale? I'm having trouble finding info on the "best" brands from a reliability and longevity standpoint. Would they be in fact these latter three?

I'll put it this way, the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as the contractor installing it. It does seem that many contractors that sell Goodman and similar brands as a whole may not tend to be the best quality installers. I don't think thre are bad brands out there. Everybody has their preferences. In my case, the contrator I prefer locally (I'm not a installer) sells both Carrier and York. The other I would use, sells Armstrong (also Lennox), Luxaire (York)and Lennox.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'll put it this way, the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as the contractor installing it. It does seem that many contractors that sell Goodman and similar brands as a whole may not tend to be the best quality installers. I don't think thre are bad brands out there. Everybody has their preferences. In my case, the contrator I prefer locally (I'm not a installer) sells both Carrier and York. The other I would use, sells Armstrong (also Lennox), Luxaire (York)and Lennox.
    REALLY? Wow....I would have thought the installation, while by no means easy, would be fairly standard. Not "plug and play" but certainly something where one installer versus another couldn't do too much damage. Interesting.

OK which leads me to another question (sorry...and thanks for responding). Any recommendations on how to find a good "quality" installer in my area if the map on this site doesn't really have anyone too close to me?

You'd like to think that installers would all follow industry guidelines and procedures recommended by mfg's.... but just like automotive repair, it's up to each shop and technician ot be properly trained and follwo the correct procedures.

How to select one. I've struggled with that myself. I'm fortunate to have conenctions and got a referal from others in the industry. But it helps ot ask the right questions, and get several quotes. How a contractor answers the right quetions, will often tell you if they are competent or not or at least weed out the bad ones.

I think one fo the first permenant posts on this forum has soem documents that give HO a checklist ot follow on choosing a good contractor.

You can find some good contractors here www.comfortinstitute.org www.bpi.org www www.angieslist.com BBB friends and family references. What area are you in someone on this site might know somebody near you they could recommend

I'm in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. My problem is I could probably find some in what we call our "main line" but that's the wealthiest part of the state and as such, they come at a premium. What I'd like to do is find someone further west (coatesville, honeybrook, lancaster, berks county, etc) where they'll be just as good yet not charge that premium.

You tend to get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by KateRose View Post
    Amazon released a rather useful cell phone application
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-25-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You tend to get what you pay for
    Yes and no. In my area in particular (bordering the most affluent part of the state) contractors in those areas charge a premium becasue of the affluence of the area, not because they're "better". In the grand scheme of things I'd agree with you but in this specific area there's this other factor at play.

Look for ACCA members in your area. Based on my experince these are the folks who view their trade as professionals and will really try and do a good job for you.

Oh yeah, the Ever-rest is a "relabeled" name brand product. I'd not have any concerns at all about buying it. If the long standing company is willing to put their reputation behind it, then it's gonna be pretty good quality.

We just interviewed the only tech/lead installer from a local company and had him take our basic test. Scary. No, all installs are NOT identical!!!!!

I'd wonder about why your 10 year old Trane is on its last leg. Are they pulling your leg?

Only concern about Everest is whether someone else can warranty it should you choose not to stay with this dealer for any reason in the future. If Goodman, sure. But as a private label, maybe not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast