I need some advice. I have to Carrier/Bryant units in my attic. Both of them have the same circuit board (HK42FZ009). I went to turn on the heat upstairs and downstairs last night, and the thermostats went dead. I checked them this morning, and I was getting a "24" error message, which is the their is an open short on the 24v connection. I have bipassed the Com, by using a thermostat with batteries, instead of a 24v connection. It does the same thing, it blows the 3ATC fuse each time. By bypassing the com, I feel that I have eliminated a short in the wiring. BOTH of my units started doing this only when the heat was turned on. We also had a surge back in September. The AC still worked, but hadn't checked the heat till now. Does this sound like a furnace problem, or circuit board problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Trent

circuit board problems

try circuit board i had a tempstar unit would work fine in cooling mode soon as i turned on the heat it would blow the fuse after i went thru about 2 or 3 fuses i went and got a c board works fine now. unless you have the right tools to ck it with its better to replace it . its hard to troubleshoot a board just get one and try that

Or you could call a contractor and have them troubleshoot the systems and let you know what is wrong.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Just What the heck is an open short......~:>

Call the original installer back...if you were satisfied with their work........

Is this the first winter the furnace has seen use...if it is there could be a problem with the thermostat wires....either a wire is cut in two pieces (open) or two wires are touching (short).....

But you cant tell for sure over the internet.....