Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dirty Sock Syndrome(dss) Is A Location Prob. Not A Mfg. Prob. Its Caused By Micro Bactria Growing On The Indoor Ev. Coil Because Of Moisture And Temp. Conditions!! During The Defrost Of A Heatpump The Indoor Coil Temp. Gets High Enough To Kill The Bac. The Smell Comes From That. The Fix Is To Coat The Coil So Moister Rools Off The Ev. Coil So It Cant Grow Or Get A Light That Kills The Bact. Ie Guardian Air. That Kills Not Only Dss. But All Viruses In The Home.

Smile

I agree, install a uv light and kill all the bacteria but a word of caution. The uv light will destroy plastic drain pans and humidifier parts. You can also kill all the bacteria with one of those good smelling house hold products. But remember some cleaners eat aluminum fins. And also remember all the conditioned air in your house goes through that coil so don't use anything that you can't stand the smell of. I remember a customer cleaning her washable filter with Pine sol and calling for service because she couldn't take the smell through out her house.

DDS

A Lot Of Things Are Blamed On Dss. Krs-- A Uv Light Is Nothing Near A Guardian Air. Bleach---one Season. Coil Coat , 2 Seasons Guardian Air ,,,,always As Well As ,odors, Viruses , Allergys???? No Advertisments--call Your Local Dealers

I got an old heat pump. After 10 years, picked-up the musty odor. Then I operated the air handler continuously. The odor went away. I occasionaly go back to "auto" fan and last a couple weeks before the musty odor returns. So fan "on" does it for me. More even temperature throughout the home but more dehumdifier run time. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Good Night All

NGHTYRE: Do you have a website for that Guardian Air.

i would try self rinsing coil cleaner first

All surfaces are coated with either bacteria or yeast... they keep each other in check. With that in mind, how 'bout coating the evaporator coil in yogurt? How 'boat some beer in the drain pan? The ice machines I clean in the beer bars are covered with the prettiest pink slime I've ever seen.

my DSS is present when I have my stat set to auto and fan on auto as well. when the temp rises in the house and the stat isnt calling for heat from the heatpump anymore and switches to cool, the smell is VERY noticeable. smells like a wet dog that has been soaking for a while in the hot sun...

btw, my system is ~5mos old....

Quote Originally Posted by NGHTYRTE View Post
    Dirty Sock Syndrome(dss) Is A Location Prob. Not A Mfg. Prob. Its Caused By Micro Bactria Growing On The Indoor Ev. Coil Because Of Moisture And Temp. Conditions!! During The Defrost Of A Heatpump The Indoor Coil Temp. Gets High Enough To Kill The Bac. The Smell Comes From That. The Fix Is To Coat The Coil So Moister Rools Off The Ev. Coil So It Cant Grow Or Get A Light That Kills The Bact. Ie Guardian Air. That Kills Not Only Dss. But All Viruses In The Home.
    huh?

During defrost cycles the indoor coil gets cold. (Outdoor warms up to melt the ice)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by krd View Post
    NGHTYRE: Do you have a website for that Guardian Air.
    http://www.comfortdesigngroup.com/gu...ACHeatDuct.pdf
    Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Had same problem, and it seemed to get worse. I tried a foaming coil cleaner and I tried washing the coil with Consan Triple Action 20. Nothing really worked. Then I tried misting everything in the air handler including the coil with Lysol disinfecting spray - it worked. I've done this with success for the past 3 years - a quick spray at the beginning of the cooling season does it for me, your mileage may vary.

Is that safe? Spraying it with lysol?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast