Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am thinking of making a change.I have only worked for two companies in this trade.First was for five years and the second has been about three.I feel that I gained alot by switching companies.I was exposed to new accounts,different equip,and generaly a different way of doing things.This has made me want to continue moving around.I like the company that I am currently with,but I do not agree with everything.I dont see a happy future there.I went to a couple of places to fill out apps.Only one place really interested me.They had me take a 20 page test while filling out app.They also seemed to be concerned with their techs taking regular classes to keep up with new stuff and were big on education.I was impressed by the fact that they have standards.I was just wondering if this is common?(the prequal test that is,I know lots have standards)The place I work for now is one of the larger in their service area,they seem to hire anybody who walks in and claims that they are gods gift to the hvacr industry.Then the existing techs have to follow behind them to make up for their short commings.

Originally posted by stuntryder
    .Only one place really interested me.They had me take a 20 page test while filling out app.

Don't be too worried.Sounds like they have high standards.
    Be honest and work hard.

What was on the test?

eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

A test is not a bad idea. Some technicians will ace the test and still turn out to be poor service men. Others are just the opposite.

The only method I have found to test a technician is to actually work with them in the field. That will tell you every thing you need to know. I am a Service Manager and get out to actually work with the guys a few days a week. It is incredible the things we all take for granted in this trade. I have found more than a few that after 10 years in the field have no clue as to how to charge a system properly.

Some in the trade call me a dinosaur. I believe in training and helping technicians advance. That's the way I learned and if I can pass some back and help out life is good.

If your looking for a good opportunity in Mass drop me a line.

Gene

Originally posted by hvacmanager
    A test is not a bad idea. Some technicians will ace the test and still turn out to be poor service men. Others are just the opposite.

The only method I have found to test a technician is to actually work with them in the field. That will tell you every thing you need to know. I am a Service Manager and get out to actually work with the guys a few days a week. It is incredible the things we all take for granted in this trade. I have found more than a few that after 10 years in the field have no clue as to how to charge a system properly.

Some in the trade call me a dinosaur. I believe in training and helping technicians advance. That's the way I learned and if I can pass some back and help out life is good.

If your looking for a good opportunity in Mass drop me a line.

Gene

Thanx for the reply,I went to this interview friday afternoon.Today I was contacted by their service manager.He told me that I did well on the test and offered me the position,at a pay rate that I am certainly pleased with.This company has a good rep among techs that I have spoken with(all seem happy and knowledgeable).I know one of the guys that works here,although I did not list him as a reference on app.I am going to take the position,looking foward to growing and learning more.They are about 80% commercial with lots of reefer and ice machine wich is what I prefer...The test I think is used more as a placement test,to see where you are in your career,with such questions as charging procedures,superheat,control wiring,troublshooting situations,as well as common sense question like what u would do if you need to charge unit with no nameplate.This test made me feel like they are out to find people that take pride in knowing their trade,wich as you know here in Mass they are sometimes hard to find.Job isnt always about a paycheck,nice to take pride.Hope this works out.What area of Mass are you in? I like the idea of a service manager that can still get dirty....LOL

I can see more and more companies going with testing in the interview process. It would tend to weed out some of the potentially bad techs. My last interview for the job I now have involved looking at a Trane chiller wiring schematic and being asked several hypothetical service questions during my interview. This facility has a lot of chillers. I aced the test and the interview lol!

I took and passed the Mass contractors license exam. I thought that it was right to the point and was pertainent to the trade.

Mechanics are supposed to be licensed in Mass. Did you guys ever go for the license?

I myself have not taken the lic test.I need to take the 150hr elect code class.I just have not had the time.However this year I am making time to get all this done.Can anyone recommend a school to take the course?Im in the north shore area.

I have a few guys that took the 150 code class. They went to Petersons in Woburn. Be prepared for some odd information. Most of it is focused on electricians. Very limited amount for the HVAC trade.

A few years back I took their commercial ac and ref. course.I dont want to say anything negative.I think I just expected more from the class.Would have been more usefull if I was not in the trade already.I know the code course will be the same everywhere I go,But I was thinking of taking the burner course as well.I was thinking about NEFI,in watertown.I have been told they are the best in the area....Do you have any input on their classes?I havent spoke to anyone who had been there in recent years.

You will need to check with DPS in Mass. Make sure the code class is at an approved school.

I had a hard time with the State on this. The code class is a touchy subject with the State. All the approved schools charge big dollars. We had a case of one guy taking it when he was an electrical apprentice, he had to retake it at Petersons in order to satisfy the state for an HVAC license. The poor guy sat through over 600 hours of code total.

I hope 2007 is the year Mass. starts to enforce the licensing laws. In all the years I have held a Mass license no one has ever asked for it.

Originally posted by hvacmanager
    I hope 2007 is the year Mass. starts to enforce the licensing laws. In all the years I have held a Mass license no one has ever asked for it.
    I hope not,mainly cause I dont have one.Employers that I have spoke to dont seem to require.I am sent to equip over 10 tons daily,and am at the same?similar pay rate...peterson course is stretched out over at least 20 weeks.I was trying to find one that had more nights a week,or maybe some weekend time....600hrs...wow

We test applicants as well and although a good score doesn't guarantee a good technician, a guy who flunks "what is superheat" obviously needs work. I don't know what market you're in, but here in Denver if you are a good commercial technician you can demand a signing bonus, vacation, health insurance, and $25+ per hour. Don't settle for less than you are worth.
    Mike Townsend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast