Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    580

    Leaking Trane hyperion evap coil, no replacement available

    I found a leaking coil in a GAM5 3 ton, 3 pounds low. The customers (elderly couple) purchased the extended parts and labor warranty. Trouble is Trane is screwing them, telling us there is no replacement available anywhere.

    We have been a dealer for 25+ years. What a bunch of bull ****.

    What do you do when a big company like Trane ****s you over?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,830
    by a new gam5. pull the coil out and swap them. return the unit and say the coil leaks.

    my old residential dealer let me rip a new furnace apart because the warranty parts werent available.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,830
    u found the leak in the evap coil. where was it leaking?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    by a new gam5. pull the coil out and swap them. return the unit and say the coil leaks.

    my old residential dealer let me rip a new furnace apart because the warranty parts werent available.
    X2. This is standard practice around my parts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,350
    If your TM is worth anything he will find a coil or have one pulled off of the factory line and have it over nighted.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    u found the leak in the evap coil. where was it leaking?
    Does it matter?
    The center on the bottom right side, vertical.

    No where near a field connection, not physical damage, theres also oil in the pan.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    GA/SC
    Posts
    7
    We've swapped the coils as well. Doesn't seem right except you're trying to please a customer and big brother (Trane) won't back you up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,038
    If your TM won't take care of you, time to change brands? But then will you have any better luck with another distributor? They all have their problems. Did they say how long a wait it is? Looks like our DSO is out too or maybe never did stock any. They have their backup or as cheap as 410 is these days, top them off for now.

    Checked our A-S supplier, not in their system so likely they've never had to order one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Round Rock
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    If your TM won't take care of you, time to change brands? But then will you have any better luck with another distributor? They all have their problems. Did they say how long a wait it is? Looks like our DSO is out too or maybe never did stock any. They have their backup or as cheap as 410 is these days, top them off for now.

    Checked our A-S supplier, not in their system so likely they've never had to order one.
    That's why I say. Gas them up until a new one can be gotten. I had a Lennox air handler a few years ago, it took 5 weeks to get a replacement coil. I was going there every week and a half and gassing the guy up. Of course the old bastard accused us of stealing $60K of watches from his house about a month later. That's what you get for helping somebody.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,619
    i think trane has forgotten how to make a good coil .
    We really need change now

  11. #11
    Next time when you have to get a new system, I wouldn't buy Trane, there are many other brands for residential.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    Does it matter?
    The center on the bottom right side, vertical.

    No where near a field connection, not physical damage, theres also oil in the pan.
    Was curious. I haven't found/heard/seen one leaking yet.

    I have had more leaks from all other brands then trane residential.

    I also see a lot more older tranes still chuggin along then any other units.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    1,529
    I have seen a trane hyperion coil leak don't recall where the leak was but it was pretty big. The system lost 5 pounds in a day.

    I called our TM to report the problem and how i was not pleased as they say this new air handlers are best the things since silced bread. He had it over nighted to me and the customer was up and going next day.

    When all else fails call your TM
    If he can't make it right inform him you will be looking for another MFG that will.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event