Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A local school district is wanting to purchase an ALC system to integrate with their existing Johnson system. Their reason is the diesire to NEVER DEAL WITH JOHNSON CONTROLS AGAIN. However, the Superintendent would like to speak with another school district who has under-taken a similar integration project. The Johnson Systems are 5-10 years. If anyone has done this type of project and has a satisfied customer please let me know.
    Thank you,
    Jimmy Davis

Try to get in contact with your local ALC dealer. ALC has a drop in replacement card for Johnson (DSC-8500?), that may do the trick for you. That way you'd have native ALC programming without having to retrofit anything downstream of their controller.

hotrod53, any experience with an InterOp8500 conversion?

I'm looking for a school district who is satisfied with their conversion from Johnson (ASC) to WebCTRL. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ANYONE WHO FITS THE BILL? If you have any contact info for someone I Could speak with please let me know.

THanks

It never ceases to amaze me how people make a move to NEVER DEAL WITH XXXX again and then talk about taking on another *basically* proprietary system to replace their existing proprietary system.

What you should be investigating is what it takes to NEVER DEAL WITH XXX again and also if taking on a new XXX, really how open is their platform?

I'm saying, plan your entry and EXIT strategy with the new vendor and how much it may or MAY NOT cost you.

I've been dealing with controllers from different manufacturers that can be used with different front ends since 1992. Backwards compatible the whole way. For a tech, that's a long time.

JCI has N2 devices which cannot be integrated
    unless a NAE is in place to accept 3rd party
    BACNET.
    I haven't heard of any other itegration but
    if you find out, let me know!!!!!!!

Fieldserver.

Originally posted by cmakowk
    JCI has N2 devices which cannot be integrated
    unless a NAE is in place to accept 3rd party
    BACNET.
    I haven't heard of any other itegration but
    if you find out, let me know!!!!!!!
    As long as a N30 is on site it can be integrated with ASI

Thankyou for the feedback to my posting about JCI to ALC integration. However, it seems i'm not conveying my question properly. I don't need to know how to do the integration, that's the easy part. Convincing the customer that the integration will work is what i'm talking about. The customer specifically asked me if I knew of any other large facility whom has already experienced this same type of integration. What I do know is this particular school district is fed up with JCI's service and their inability to make the system work as for what it was designed. Eighteen of the facilities WERE NEVER COMMISSIONED! I'm not trying to take cheap-shots at a competitor, i'm merely stating the facts as they were described to me. Having said that, I would greatly appreciate any contact info for an entity whom has experienced a successful JCI to ALC integration project.

Thanks

jdavis,

Thats' why I recommended you talk with the ALC dealer in your area. They'd be the ones to know if they have an ALC system that's interfacing with Johnson at any school project they were involved in. If they haven't done an interface like that at a school, they can network with the ALC dealer network. Someone else in the dealer network tht fits the bill, with what you're looking for. They in turn could get your school superintendant in contact with rep at the other school to talk with.

Or, just call the ALC factory directly.

Thanks for the reply. We are the ALC dealer in this area. ALC Corporate has not been much help on this problem. I have postings on their website as well as a few other websites, but nothing yet. I must say they(ALC) did give one instance in which an integration took place but the customer and the involved ALC dealer didn't have a great relationship. Once again thanks for the input!

IMO,If ALC is owned by Carrier why don't you use their CarrierOne 33CN product and use the Bacnet to talk to ALC and the JCI driver to talk to Legacy JCI and you still have the Lon side available to you for future upgrades...Just a suggestion...
    IF YOU BUILD IT...THEY WILL COME!!!...

Just a word of advice. If the local Johnson office installed 18 systems and never fully commisioned them, then integrating to any front end will not fix any of their problems. You will need to recommision all the buildings and probably rewrite a lot of the Johnson software. If someone walks in and integrates into the badly functioning Johnson system, it is still a messed up system. But now you touched it and in the customers eyes you now own it. You are probably better of trying to find a good EX-Johnson tech that can fix the system and sell the customer a service contract to start fixing the systems they have. Once you fix a couple buildings and they like your work, then sell them on fixing the rest of the buildings. THEN sell them the integration.

SYS:

Fieldserver?

What fieldserver would you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast