Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Server room back up system

hey guys
    What do recommend for back up cooling system, here are the details:
    We have a server room that does not have back up cooling, 2 weeks ago the 10
    TON lennox had a broken belt over the weekend and the room got very hot to 140F
    in about 30 minutes the lost one the devices that overheated, now they want to install
    a back up system, which I was trying to get them to do it for 2 years, I think there are 3 options.1)Mitsubishi split system( the problem is the they only make this units up to 31/2 TON.
    2)Portable unit ,inside the room.
    3) Another 10 TON RTU next to the existing, with the S/A & R/A to the room.

Any other suggestions??? or advice???
    Thank you very much

Put in a real unit...

Liebert

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Put in a real unit...

Liebert

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Put in two Lead / Lag then you have a true back-up

Mitsubishi make a great lead lag system.

I'm a Liebert fan. If they have the floor space, install two Liebert DS 10ton systems w/ the iCom Controls. Then you can network them together to automatically Lead/Lag and rotate based on what ever schedule you prefer. I have all of my Data Centers and Electrical rooms set up that way.

If floor space is an issue, look at installing a couple of 8ton Mini-Mates. If the room is currently conditioned by a 10 Ton Lennox Package unit, then is was only getting about 6tons of Sensible Heat load removed right now. So an 8ton Liebert would remove 7.2tons of Sensible Heat load and also provide Humidity Control. I believe they have the iCom controls for the Mini-Mates now, so they should be able to be Networked as well.

Lieberts are designed for 24/365 operation, and -20°F ambient Outdoor Temps.

Quote Originally Posted by sgraefe View Post
    I'm a Liebert fan. If they have the floor space, install two Liebert DS 10ton systems w/ the iCom Controls. Then you can network them together to automatically Lead/Lag and rotate based on what ever schedule you prefer. I have all of my Data Centers and Electrical rooms set up that way.

If floor space is an issue, look at installing a couple of 8ton Mini-Mates. If the room is currently conditioned by a 10 Ton Lennox Package unit, then is was only getting about 6tons of Sensible Heat load removed right now. So an 8ton Liebert would remove 7.2tons of Sensible Heat load and also provide Humidity Control. I believe they have the iCom controls for the Mini-Mates now, so they should be able to be Networked as well.

Lieberts are designed for 24/365 operation, and -20°F ambient Outdoor Temps.
    I would agree install a Liebert and use the Lennox as back up

Liebert all the way my company does work for IBM lieberts are in every single server room

I agree with you 100%, we price the liebert unit for the customer, they thought it was WAY overpriced, yes he is right on the price, Liebert is the best on the market for server rooms, now he is considering other options more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgato View Post
    I agree with you 100%, we price the liebert unit for the customer, they thought it was WAY overpriced, yes he is right on the price, Liebert is the best on the market for server rooms, now he is considering other options more affordable.
    Upfront cost is higher but performance and operating cost will excel all other options.

How about two 5 ton Fujitsu cassette systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini splits have a place, primary cooling of a server room is not one of them.
    Server rooms require constant control of temperature & humidity. Minis cannot do this.
    There is a good reason Liebert, APC, and others get the price they ask.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what the others have said. I'd Highly recommend having at least one unit capable of precision control of temperature and humidity, running as the primary cooling unit, from there if you have less than ideal back-up systems such as mini-splits, etc. You'll still be okay.

Also, I would recommend going with a system that has EC Fans, You'll see much better temperature control.

If for some reason you're not inclined to go with Libert systems, there are a number of reputable manufacturers you can look for, Stultz, Uniflair from schneider electric, GEA Denco, Climaveneta, RC Group. All are reputable and have multiple references. I'm sure one of those will have something in your price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast