Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak on HP

Leak on HP

Hello guys

What product do you recomend to stop a VERY small leak on a Heat pump??
    it only looses 5 lbs of pressure every 3 hours, I can not find the leak, I have used refrigerant leak detector
    and soup and bubles, customer complains that she has to hire an HVAC company
    to come out every summer, this time it was me that went, found system very low
    28 lbs low side and 110 high side, I put in 2 more pounds to use my electronic leak detector,and did not find leaks, I decided to put 200 lbs of nitrogen with refrigerant trace in, no leaks found
    i could see my gages dropping on pressure VERY slowly, the system is York M/N THGD36S21S1A,
    What do you guys say it will work the best?????
    Thank you for your time , in advance.

How much refrigerant did you pull out compared to nameplate?

I have had it where the problem is at the schraders but I didnt notice because I had my gauges on......
    TXV
    Three way valve
    U bends
    Coils

What type of detector do u have and what trace gas did you use? I always use a H10 with R22.

I've heard one guy tell me he saw a compressor shell itself leaking with a pin hole

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    How much refrigerant did you pull out compared to nameplate?

I have had it where the problem is at the schraders but I didnt notice because I had my gauges on......
    TXV
    Three way valve
    U bends
    Coils

What type of detector do u have and what trace gas did you use? I always use a H10 with R22.
    I found system low on R-22, put in an extra pund to use my CPS leak detector, did not find the leak anywhere, I decided to fill it with nitrogen up to 200 lbs, pressure drops , like I said before at the rate of 5 lbs of pressure every 3 hours, very slow leak, it can be anywhere, tha problem is, that I can not find it. thank you for responding

Quote Originally Posted by mr_guy View Post
    I've heard one guy tell me he saw a compressor shell itself leaking with a pin hole

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk
    I have found the that way also, in this case the leak is small that I can not find anywhere, I need put something in the system to blend with the refrigerant to stop the leak,

silphos 15

I have heard that the refrigerant dyes work very well.

I have heard that the refrigerant dyes work very well.
    They do, I hate to use it but it does work. It's more than likely pinholes in the middle of the indoor coil.

Check the very bottom middle of the accumulator ,there is a mounting threaded rod that leaks in that area, the accumulator seems to be wet all the time from refrigerant absorbing moisture from the air, and during defrost.check with electronic, you may have to lift the accumulator with a screwdriver to lift off of the metal cabinet,which may make it harder to find.Also you may have a porous indoor coil, if you have any flare connections, such as on a field installed drier,or the access caps, ( where you frontseat or backseat with a Allen wrench ) to me if your dropping 5 PSI every 3 hours does not seem like a small leak but a significant leak, and you should be able to find with an accurate electronic leak detector such as a good ole H 10 . If you got the time remove total charge and add 200 PSI nitrogen then front seat both access valves and tightly secure caps. Then remove gauges and secure Schroeder caps, if services do not leak,internally, wait 9 hours and rehook gauges if your pressure ( which would be reading the complete line set and indoor coil ) drops 15 psi, then your leak from your two access connections toward your indoor coil, both line set tubing. If your pressures stay at 200 PSI then your leak is on the high side.

If you really wanted to find the leak cut the line set about 6" from outdoor unit and install a schader access stem on either the vapor line or liquid line one each going to the indoor coil ,other going to the outdoor unit, and crimp and braze all 4 lines . Add nitrogen to both independent sides and see which side leaks, the high or low side, then concentrate in that section.

You may have to take the system apart and pressure check each component. PITA but at least you should be able to isolate it.

Has anyone ever seen any negative effects from dye?

Has anyone ever seen any negative effects from dye?
    Other than getting it all in my manifold and hoses and just making a general mess, no I haven't seen any failures, clogs etc due to dye.

I might have to try it out one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast