Thread: TXVUpgrade Kit for Trane 3-10 ton Precedent

Post Likes

TXVUpgrade Kit for Trane 3-10 ton Precedent

Hello,

Firstly, thank you in advance to any pro who takes the time to read and respond.

I am in charge of making sure the hvac system is taken care of at my building. We recently had a tech come as part of our routine maintenance schedule and he found issues with one of our rooftop units. The following is a description of the problem and the methods that will be employed to rectify the situation.

"The technician found a plugged orifice in the evaporator coil of Circuit No. 1. Due to the fixed orifice being plugged we are not getting proper flow through the evaporator coil which raised the temperature of the gas. The gas is what is used to cool the compressors and due to the raised temperatures of the gas, the compressors are not able to generate cooling from Circuit No. 1. In order to correct the situation we recommend installing a thermal expansion valve (TXV) upgrade kit, new drier and filter in the liquid line. This will properly meter the liquid refrigerant into the evaporator and allow for optimal operation of the compressor on Circuit No. 1. In order to install the TXV, the refrigerant needs to be evacuated, stored and then the unit recharged once the valve is installed. "

My question is, what would a reasonable quote be to complete this job? The quote received from the company seemed on the high side and I wanted to get a better grip on what the job entails before accepting the quote. And yes, I understand that hourly rates vary depending on where one is (currently in the North East USA). But a ballpark would get me close enough.

Again, thank you.

Post Likes
    This feels like something from Shipping Wars. I’ll open the bidding at $10, 000.00.

Just kidding. Please read the site rules “Pricing Not Allowed”

If you feel there price is too high then call another contractor and have them check the unit out and submit a quote but remember you get what you pay for.

Post Likes
    Whatever you do don't trust anyone. No, you can always get a second opinion.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-18-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Did one this summer, but only cap tube to piston conversion. 6 hours or more on total job doesn't seem unreal.

Was on rooftop by the way, so poor access or long runs to truck and back to move 500-800lbs of tools and equipment will run up price for labor as well.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    In a 10 ton unit you're actually doing the job twice so I would say anywhere from 8 to 10 hours.

Post Likes
    You could get a second opinion.
    Contractor 1 provided a well written explanation of his diagnosis and remedy.
    Contractor 2 might not be as sharp.
    The question you will have to answer is if you are going to show # 2 the diagnosis and remedy from#1.
    #1 already showed proficiency in diagnostics, command of the English language, was aware that a retrofit was available to solve an OEM issue, and already has a rapport with you, that is, he has already established a level of your trust. These days this does not come easily or cheaply.
    #2 may either second guess #1, agree with him and undercut his number to get more of your work, or try to sell you a new machine, but he will probably also send you a bill.
    IMHO I'd guess #1 has the right diagnosis.
    Someone who has looked so well to the diagnosis has probably looked as well to the price he has submitted, and his execution of the proposed repair will match.
    And I probably don't need to say that you don't shop his price or try to haggle about his number. If he senses that is happening he will continue to smile and be polite, but you will have already demeaned yourself in a big way, and that has a way of "getting around".

Best to you.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

Post Likes
    hands

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the instruction.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in