Hybrid View

Condensing Boiler Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

You've got a noobe here in need of advice!

I've decided to convert from oil to propane (no natural gas in my town), and heard differing opinions about condensing boilers. I have hot water base boards. I've received a few bids that recommend a condensing boiler, but my latest quote said otherwise. The theory is that since I have hot water baseboards, the water returning to the boiler is not cool enough to make a condensing boiler effective.

I'm just wondering about the advantages of either given my situation. I understand that going with a condensing boiler would allow for expansion in terms of putting in radiant floor heating.

Thanks for any advice!

Condensing boilers on baseboard works fine. Since you don't need 180 degree water going to them for most of the winter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Condensing boilers on baseboard works fine. Since you don't need 180 degree water going to them for most of the winter.
    Well said!!!

Been is right. Even when a condensing boiler doesn't, it will still operate at 88%+ combustion efficiency at 190F and when one adds in the obvious saving realized when the chimney is buttoned up, there is really no question.

Proper size and regular professional maintenance is the key to saving money with a high efficiency condensing boiler, so ask to see a sample of a Manual J heat load and your own when the deposit is made.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-23-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

sdw, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?