Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    They might want to find a contractor who understands what communicating means and does, at least a little bit, eh moto? If they discourage you from having this equipment you gotta wonder, what is it they don't want you to know?
    This is the same group that did the Man J and complete Energy Survey.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I agree. Just the fact that a contractor would match an Infinity Condenser without and Infinity Indoor unit is pretty telling. It shows a lot of ignorance IMO. It tells me they need a lot more education and training on the equipment. Its' not like Infinity communicating system are new. I think it's well past 10 years old. Time to find another Carrier Dealer.
    Again same group that did all the testing and the same group everyone suggested I go with from another thread. This is even more frustrating and makes me think no one really knows what they are doing or recommending and just want a sale.

I'm at a complete loss. Yikes!

I forget, did you ask them why they quoted the Infinity Condenser with Performance Air Handler? The only time I could see thsi is if you really, really wanted the high end Infinity 19 heat pump due ot noise levels or SEER rating, but didn't wantot spend extra on the Inifinity controller and air handler. The SEER and HSPF would be almost identical between the two, but probably a solid 20% difference or more in price. But below that high end unit, there are identical performance and comfort series condensers to match that Performance series Air handler.

Agian, not uncommon ot down spec the condenser, it still "a match", but very strange to downspec the indoor unit.

...unless you don't want the ho to know what infinity will tell them...
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I forget, did you ask them why they quoted the Infinity Condenser with Performance Air Handler?
    Yes, I asked but have not spoken with them yet. We are playing a bit of phone/email tag.

The only time I could see thsi is if you really, really wanted the high end Infinity 19 heat pump due ot noise levels or SEER rating
    The only thing I specifically asked for was at least a 16 seer system.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    ...unless you don't want the ho to know what infinity will tell them...
    That also assumes the homeowner would understand anything the Infinity told them.

I've had some guys tell me they don't like installing communicating equipment because homeowners start digging into the info screens, then start calling with all kinds of questions, concerns, and issues.

In their defense these are no pay phone calls. They can't be on two phone calls at once, so cost of "no pay" phone calls can eventually add up. Somebody pays for them or the company goes out of business.
    Last edited by tedkidd; 10-24-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I think that's a matter of not taking a few minutes to train the HO. There isn't all that much to see really. It's more about how well Infinity manages humidity control and equipment staging. THe nice to have features are dirty filter detection, static pressure display, run time data, and any equipment faults.

Honestly, I played with mine the first few months to better understand it's staging logic and airflow logic. Now I just let it do it's thing. Like any good system, it's operation is seamless and simply delivers comfort. Equipment sizing and ductwork design and balancing play the biggest role. Equipment control is icing on the cake.

Gee... maybe that contractor doesn't know that you can get right at or close to 16 SEER with a Performance 15 AC. They also might not know that just a few years ago Carrier added 2 stage 16/17 SEER units to their Performance and Comfort series. Before that, 2 stage was only in the Infinity line.

So the explanation I received from the contractor for the mixing of the 2 systems was that when they inputed the data with Carrier and looked at some list, that was the recommendation for equipment that was made. The list has something to do with the government, a Herr list or Aers list, didnt catch the name. But he did say after looking at it again, that it wouldnt make sense to pay extra for the Infinity compressor when it wouldnt communicate with the Performance air handler.

There was also a recommendation to match the 3 ton condensor with a 5 ton coil, and the explanation was as the coil becomes less efficient over time there will still be plenty of room in the system to keep up with demand?

In the end the contractor offered to honor the original quote for the Infinity/Performance system, but install the full Infinity system.

Probably AHRI rating. IT's a database wher you match the components and it spits out the rating for that match. However, I still question that. Unless it's the top end Infinity 21 SEER, when I ran matches for the 2 ton Infinity 17 SEER AC I have, the Performance/Comfort series had virtually the same rating. Actually it may have had a slightly lower SEER but better EER if I remember correctly. I'm not sure why they have a difference.

So there was a problem with the quote on the Infinity systems and the contractor cannot honor it or even come close. They are falling over themselves about it and have made another recommendation.

They asked if I would consider an Amana ASCZ16/MBVC system. Not familiar at all with Amana, but the specs of system look very similar to the Infinity system.

What do you all think?

The bigger coil improves dehumidification and is less restrictive.

Never dug into the goodman communicating system. Gonna be a little noisier, but I think you'll probably be very happy. Od unit is nice looking.

time to find someone else , would not want a company that can not honor a quote as they might not honor your warranty after the install . the Carrier Infinity and Bryant Evolution are the same and very nice units
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by scooterfj62 View Post
    So there was a problem with the quote on the Infinity systems and the contractor cannot honor it or even come close. They are falling over themselves about it and have made another recommendation.

They asked if I would consider an Amana ASCZ16/MBVC system. Not familiar at all with Amana, but the specs of system look very similar to the Infinity system.

What do you all think?
    With a loss of confidence in their equipment selection ability + lack of commitment to a contract,
    How could one proceed at_this_point in a less than optimum relationship?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The rub is that I have not lost any confidence in their ability to do a good job and the company has been around quite a while. They were also the only one who pointed out some very big holes in our envelope, duct work and lack of duct sealing.

I think what really happened was when then made the initial quote with the Infinity compressor and Performance air handler I asked why not go with all Infinity and the contractor said we can do that and will be same price since it was their oversight. When they came back with the new contract and quotes is when they realized the substantial price difference between the Performance and Infinity air handlers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast