Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrier Infinity vs. Performance

What is the difference between the Infinity and the Performance series heat pumps/air handlers. Most notably the 16 ton systems. The specs that Carrier posts on their website makes it look like they are nearly identical, except for a slight increase in seer value with the Infinity heat pump.

Really, what does Infinity bring to the table?

Better comfort. More precise control of your heating and cooling system that minimizes operating cost and maximizes comfort. A thermostat that monitors a lot of conditions with your equipment and will alert you when something happens that will develop into unreasonably high utility bills or an expensive repair if not corrected. A system that logs malfunctions and makes it easy to track them down. When used with the Infinity zoning system, it can give precise temperature control to each zone and modulates air flow to each zone so they reach set point at the same time.

We can each have a car that gets 40 mpg. One is a Fiat, the other is a Lexus. Which has the quieter ride, nicer seats and better stereo? Seer ratings, like mpg ratings, doesn't tell you everything.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by scooterfj62 View Post
    Most notably the 16 ton systems.
    Obviously meant to say 16 seer systems.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-22-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Is there any benefit in pairing a Performance air handler (FV4) with an Infinity heat pump (25HNB6). Or would I be better served going with matching series, either all Performance vs. all Infinity, budget dependent.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-22-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: non AOP Member

tiger man

Is there any benefit in pairing a Performance air handler (FV4) with an Infinity heat pump (25HNB6). Or would I be better served going with matching series, either all Performance vs. all Infinity, budget dependent.
    Getting the infinity AHU and control is critical.

The pump is less critical. I have had noise complaints on performance series. Where will od unit be located?

If Fiat is ok with you, you'll probably be very happy with 2 stage unit. If Lexus is required infinity or GREENSPEED may be abetted choice.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Getting the infinity AHU and control is critical.
    Interesting as our contracted quoted the opposite, Infinity heatpump with Performance AHU.

The pump is less critical. I have had noise complaints on performance series. Where will od unit be located?
    OD units will be located in backyard just off the patio.

Interesting as our contracted quoted the opposite, Infinity heatpump with Performance AHU.

OD units will be located in backyard just off the patio.
    You're paying a LOT for a communicating board and a fancy badge on an Infinity 17 Heatpump when you'd don't have a communicating indoor unit. The Performance series 2 stage heat pump is virtually identical. The Comfort Series is the same compressor, but not quite as good of a sound proofing package and a cheaper enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    You're paying a LOT for a communicating board and a fancy badge on an Infinity 17 Heatpump when you'd don't have a communicating indoor unit.
    They might want to find a contractor who understands what communicating means and does, at least a little bit, eh moto?

Scooter, one of the reasons you REALLY want communicating is the equipment will tell you things like External Static Pressure. This is useful for knowing if they oversized your equipment to your duct, knowing when the filter get's restrictive, etc...

If they discourage you from having this equipment you gotta wonder, what is it they don't want you to know?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

I agree. Just the fact that a contractor would match an Infinity Condenser without and Infinity Indoor unit is pretty telling. It shows a lot of ignorance IMO. It tells me they need a lot more education and training on the equipment. Its' not like Infinity communicating system are new. I think it's well past 10 years old. Time to find another Carrier Dealer.

Yeah, I think Infinity started around 2000. But the big change - the communicating features started 2004.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast