iHarmony/SL280 Loud "woosh" noise when another zone starts calling

If one zone is already active and another one starts calling, it sounds like the blower ramps up to provide the additional air flow before the damper opens and directs air to that zone.

The result is that when we are downstairs and the upstairs starts calling, there is a brief period where there is a lot of air moving through the downstairs vents (very loud "woosh") before this additional air is directed to the upstairs vents and the downstairs vents are quiet again. The system has done this on both air conditioning and heat.

Is this normal? Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that zone system, what type of equipment is it on and is it 2 stage heating and cooling, 2-heat 1 cool or 1heat 1cool? My thought is could it be second stage is coming on and so the blower speeds up for 2nd stage and it take s while for relief or bypass to catch up. Most zone systems that I have worked with do not speed up the blower just because a zone opens, I don't know if you could even set one up to do that. Usually the situation is opposite of what you describe, the system is noisy with one zone calling and the blower seems to move less air when the second zone calls as the air is being distributed to more resisters.

It's Lennox equipment. The furnace has two stage heat and a variable speed blower. It will adjust the speed of the blower depending on how many zones are calling and what CFM is assigned per zone.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    I'm not familiar with that zone system, what type of equipment is it on and is it 2 stage heating and cooling, 2-heat 1 cool or 1heat 1cool? My thought is could it be second stage is coming on and so the blower speeds up for 2nd stage and it take s while for relief or bypass to catch up. Most zone systems that I have worked with do not speed up the blower just because a zone opens, I don't know if you could even set one up to do that. Usually the situation is opposite of what you describe, the system is noisy with one zone calling and the blower seems to move less air when the second zone calls as the air is being distributed to more resisters.
    Lennox SL280 is 2 stage heat with variable speed blower. The Lennox iHarmony will indeed have control of the blower speed and will adjust it based on demand. If it's installed right, there won't be a bypass or relief of any sort on this zone system.

Unfortunately I have not got to set up an iHarmony yet, so I'm not able to properly assist the OP, however, the theory sounds plausible. I'd call the contractor out and have him check out the settings to verify is set up correctly

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2