Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Nordyne IQ Drive vs Carrier Infinity Greenspeed

All else being equal, which would be your choice for an inverter driven heat pump and why? Nordyne's top of the line IQ Drive or Carrier's top of the line Infinity Greenspeed?

Decision time is imminent.

the proofs in the pudding, the greenspeed inverter beats the output of the IQ, look to hspf ratings
    Total Energy Management, inc

Carrier seems to be a little better as efficiency goes. Never installed or seen a greenspeed in real life though, have installed a few iqs and they work great

I think they're both great products.

Installation is critical. Do your research, find a good contractor. A bad install can make even the highest SEER rated equipment very inefficient. They should perform a manual J load calc and check all ductwork for needed modifications. If the system is installed properly, then you should have minimal problems from either.

I think Norydne has a cooling efficiency advantage and Carrier has it in the winter.

The potential problems of both of them scare me. 10 year factory backed parts & labor warranty a must!

The "training" to be iq drive certified summed up in 3 words was change the board, which out of warranty I would assume it is a x,xxx.xx cost part wholesale, so that does scare me a bit. Make sure you have excellent surge protection.

High end equipment rarely makes sense strictly from a financial standpoint. The money is MUCH better spent on improving ductwork/air sealing, etc. Get the load down and install the smallest equipment that will get the job done.

Regcab, good point for others looking at this thread. op has followed that path.

Seems you can't go wrong with either one. Choose the contractor that is likely to be around if you have problems 5-10 years down the road and install the one they are most comfortable with.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Think about other systems that were ahead of their time. Lennox Complete Heat and York Triathlon come to mind, good luck finding parts or somebody to service these units. Inverter based systems are nothing new, minisplits have been using them for awhile. It's implementing them into a "conventional" air handler/condensing unit that I'd be concerned about. Low production numbers could create problems for service in the future. Keep in mind most older units still in service today were sold in large volume and are able to use generic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Think about other systems that were ahead of their time. Lennox Complete Heat and York Triathlon come to mind, good luck finding parts or somebody to service these units. Inverter based systems are nothing new, minisplits have been using them for awhile. It's implementing them into a "conventional" air handler/condensing unit that I'd be concerned about. Low production numbers could create problems for service in the future. Keep in mind most older units still in service today were sold in large volume and are able to use generic parts.
    Nordyne has had their IQ line out for 3 or 4 years now. Seems to be proving itself.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Greenspeed to be installed on Thursday

Been without air & heat since my Rheem hp died on October 19th. Luckily, haven't needed either due to Florida's mild temps right now.

After much research and lots of advice from the pro's on this forum, I signed a contract today for installation on Thursday. I sincerely hope I don't regret going with a 3-ton, against the advice of four different pro's who actually completed a Manual J and recommended the 4-ton for my 1827sf home on a slab because I have over 450 square feet of single pane glass.

25VNA036A003 Heat Pump Condenser
    FE4ANB006T00 Air Handler
    CE0501N08 Heat Strip
    SYSTXCCUID01 Controller

To be installed complete to code, new tubing overhead with line cover, new pad, relocate condenser, add 20x20 RNF45 r/a filter grille and replace other to match, modify ductwork to bedrooms with mixing box and damper collars. Electrical wire to be copper and ran by licensed electrician.

10 yr all parts and labor with Carrier 5-Star Warranty

In addition, I plan to take jtrammel's advice and have an electrician install a whole house lightening arrestor/surge supressor at my main breaker box (outside). I hope to have an estimate on that job soon.

I personally think you will have more delivered btus than with the older unit after airflow upgrades.

Post your static numbers after job is done. Is this one the thermostats can display?

Personally I would maybe use 1300-1400 as a target full speed cfm.

Derate to 1200 for dehum call.

But I do know you want below 45% Rh.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    I personally think you will have more delivered btus than with the older unit after airflow upgrades.

Post your static numbers after job is done. Is this one the thermostats can display?

Personally I would maybe use 1300-1400 as a target full speed cfm.

Derate to 1200 for dehum call.

But I do know you want below 45% Rh.
    +1, I seriously doubt your old unit was actually delivering 1/2 a ton more than the system you're about to have installed.
    Keep in mind it isn't unusual for a system to only deliver 80% of it's capacity, sometimes even less depending on install quality.
    My house is 200sqft less than yours and has 3 more people, 2 of which don't seem to know how to shut a door A 2 ton keeps it 75F when its up to 100F outside. I don't have 450sqft of glass though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast