Goodman CTO03AA Thermostat and Internet Access

If I want internet access to a CTO03AA communicating thermostat, do I need to use the Honeywell RedLink "box" for the link or is here a way to connect the thermostat directly to my wireless network and have the full functionality of the Redlink system?

I do not own the thermostat but I am considering having one installed.

TIA

Tim

I assume you meant the CTK03.

You will need the Redlink Internet gateway to access this thermostat via Internet. Do you have a communicating Goodman system? If it is communicating, the CTK03 is the best option for you.

If not communicating, there are other options for you. Ecobee and Nest are a few but I would only suggest this if your system is NOT communicating.

Thanks for the reply. & Forgive the fat fingers. Yes it is a CTK03 and it will be on a communicating dual stage heatpump system.

From you experience, why do you recommend the CTK over Nest or EcoBee, just curious.?

because neither the Nest nor the Ecobee can communicate with your Goodman communicating equipment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It looks identical to standard honeywell prestige hd but is totally different than any standard thermostats.

Beenthere summed it up. If you have a Goodman communicating system then you need a Goodman communicating thermostat. Using a communicating thermostat will give you such features as true variable speed blower, proper staging, fault indicators and history...just to name a few.

Using a a non communicating thermostat on a communicating system will not let the system operate at it's full potential.

Is there a link to the setup manual for this thermostat anywhere? Since I will be using the redlink, I may be installing an outdoor temp sensor and am wondering if the OAT sensor contributes any data to help the thermostat's operation.

Does this T/S have the smarts to look at OAT and predict if it needs immediate second stage heat/cooling to reach setpoint?
    Also is there a function to lock out strip heat if OAT is above, lets say, 50*?

Yes.

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell...ge/68-0311.pdf

Check page 24. Option 3120. This thermostat does everything mentioned.

I would NOT recommend trying to install this yourself. Call a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Yes.

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell...ge/68-0311.pdf

Check page 24. Option 3120. This thermostat does everything mentioned.

I would NOT recommend trying to install this yourself. Call a professional.
    Thanks. Looks like a very complete featured thermostat. From a quick scan of the wiring configurations , one linked seems to be based on a 8 wire cable. I ass/u/me the Goodman branded 4 wire communicating device has similar setup programming functionality just different wiring terminations.

Yes, I will be having my HVAC contractor install this as part of a new system. He recommended this thermostat however he also admitted that he has never done the CTK03 before. That is why I wanted to get a little background knowledge, not enough to be an expert; just enough to be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by pendetim View Post
    Is there a link to the setup manual for this thermostat anywhere? Since I will be using the redlink, I may be installing an outdoor temp sensor and am wondering if the OAT sensor contributes any data to help the thermostat's operation.

Does this T/S have the smarts to look at OAT and predict if it needs immediate second stage heat/cooling to reach setpoint?
    Also is there a function to lock out strip heat if OAT is above, lets say, 50*?
    A thermostat that used the outdoor sensor to determine if its cold enough to go right to second stage. Would actually defeat some of the comfort a 2 stage provides. Many good 2 stage thermostats cycle between first and second when its close to design temp. Which provides greater comfort then just going to second stage and shutting off quicker.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A thermostat that used the outdoor sensor to determine if its cold enough to go right to second stage. Would actually defeat some of the comfort a 2 stage provides. Many good 2 stage thermostats cycle between first and second when its close to design temp. Which provides greater comfort then just going to second stage and shutting off quicker.
    Actually what I meant by that was: Will the T/S look at outdoor conditions when setback and decide if it needs to turn on both stages immediately to effect a timely recovery.

For example, my house is at 55*, I have been out of town for 2 weeks and it is 20* outside. To recover to 72*, the first stage of my heatpump will take 16 hours ( I exaggerate ). If the second stage comes on immediately, the recovery will only take 3 hours ( just a hypothetical condition ).

With the temps you listed it would run on hi with full aux strips (provided they aren't still locked out).

It really does not look to od sensor except for staging of heat strips.

It looks to indoor temp compared to set temp. At 55 requesting 72 it would full tilt boogie till about 71

This thermostat will look @ temp differential between desired temp and actual space temp and make a decision to whether first stage or second stage is needed.

I'm sorry if I misinformed you on this feature.