Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

carrier 50tc - heavy condensation

Good morning, I'm looking into a complaint of a customer recently about condensation coming off of the suction line and headers of the exposed evaporator on a carrier model 50TC-D12A2B5-0A0A0 10 ton Package RTU. I need to address it accordingly and this is the 3rd one of these i've had installed where someone noticed. Now I Belive this just to be a manufacture issue due the exposed headers from the evaporator coil sweating, however I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of possible corrections that can be done and or just refer our customer to carrier?

any thoughts or replies are greatly appreciated.

Usually evaporators don't have insulated headers, so, is the water damaging anything? If not there is nothing wrong with the unit, just over zealous customers.

My job is to try and make the customer satisfied 100% with our installations and service, especially for the customers with multiple facillities. This units location is in a high salt enviorment as well and the condensation is leading him to belive that they wont get the proper ammount of life out of the units before the base of the package unit rust out.

how would you in my situation address the director that is not satisfied with the ammount of water the unit is creating on the roof ?

Contact Carrier Engineering and see what they have to say.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Is the unit level? So it's sweating in an exposed area of the unit like where rain would get to?

yes the unit is level, and yes in the exposed area in the compressor area, on this model the evaporator is exposed as well for whatever reason (the headers)

Is there something you're leaving out? This unit doesn't really look like they've changed the cabinet in going to R-22 to R-410a, so I don't see what's special about it. I believe I've run across a few 410a 50 series units in the field, but most of the Carrier 50s that I see these days are still R22 units. I've seen a lot of those, as has everyone else here who has to work on package units, and I don't think there's anything unusual about the header on the evaporator sticking into the condenser section. That's the way Carrier does it, and, of course, it's going to form condensate there. I've never seen it rust out the bottom of the condenser section in the useful service life of the unit. Beyond a "useful" service life, that's a different matter. Even then I think it's more from rainwater pooling in the condenser than condensate. Are they JUST complaining about condensate forming on the header and suction line? If that's all, then I have to agree with toocoolforschool; you've got a case of overzealous customers yanking your chain.

Service manual for those who are interested.

Is this the same unit you asked about in another thread, entitled "Package RTU... Complaint from customer..."?

Name:  P82A0235.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  53.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Is this the same unit you asked about in another thread, entitled "Package RTU... Complaint from customer..."?
    Name:  P82A0235.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  53.7 KB

no, we corrected that issue already... of course that unit sweats also out of the sides of the condenser/compressor compartment area... same issue same complaint

To me it's not a big deal, but for what ever reason it is to them...

You could insulate the header and make it air tight.

What about rain ,fog and morning dew?
    mikeacman

Oh, and the condensation is normal.
    mikeacman

That's pretty can I take it home??
    Costomers will try and complain about anything to get something for free, sounds like a tactic they are trying.
    Tell them it is a rooftop unit and they do not need to reengineer it for Carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacman View Post
    You could insulate the header and make it air tight.

What about rain ,fog and morning dew?
    well i'll have to figure something out to just make them happy letting them know i'll personally go the extra mile to continue to get the jobs, even tho there is nothing wrong with the unit to begin with, i've explained that carrier has designed those that way for years and have no issue with rusting out the bottom of base of the compressor compartment area beyond a useful service life. But they've had bad experiences due to the high salt enviorment they are near they've had the same cabinents rust out within 5 years, i suggested that either epoxy paint or weatherized coating is applied to the base in an attempt to perserve the integrity. package units are inteded to be exposed to the enviorment they are just not use to the sweating because all the other units on this roof in particular are Trane with a fully encloused evap coil.

The units have noticalbe surface rust within a week of the installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast