Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got a no heat call about a week ago and it was an easy one. i guess it was easy. i did find the original problem but they had another issue that i had to tell them. Its a good start to the heating season. Its an old carrier rtu. I ended up putting in a new heat exchanger.

Name:  2012-10-18 18.59.12.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  28.7 KB Name:  2012-10-18 18.57.33.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  28.4 KB
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    I got a no heat call about a week ago and it was an easy one. i guess it was easy. i did find the original problem but they had another issue that i had to tell them. Its a good start to the heating season. Its an old carrier rtu. I ended up putting in a new heat exchanger.

Name:  2012-10-18 18.59.12.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  28.7 KB Name:  2012-10-18 18.57.33.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  28.4 KB
    fun fun yeah i had to replace a heat exchanger yesterday. it was the first one i had to replace and it wasnt to bad at all. but thats the thing about our field seems like i learn something new almost everyday

found my first cracked heat exchanger of the season today(and my first as a tech). It was on a Trane single stage 90 that was 12 y/o. heard a rumbling sound when it first started up, took cover off the burner box and then sounded normal, flames looked good. About 2 minutes in to it running i see the front plate of one of the cells catching fire, i shut off the furnace and see the plate is all cracked and burnt up, further noticing signs of roll out all over the burner box. I then stuck my inspection camera down the cell to find a stress crack. Called the office to inform them, had a field supervisor come out to the call to verify it and to make it as easier (if possible) to break the news to the homeowner we then took the burner compartment apart and looked down the cell and touched it with a brazing rod, only find that crack was more than just a stress crack. I've never had issues with primary heat exchanger on a Trane or many 90% furnaces for that matter.

some of my preventive maintenance checks have been no heat calls

we have been doing heat checks for about a month here started when it was still 90 plus outside. have yet to have our first heat call that wasn't due to them having the a/c running when i arrived. those heat exchangers are nothing in our humid climate i find heat exchangers 1/2 the tube is rusted through, i will take some pictures of the next really bad one i find.

if this winter is anything like the last we will have very very few calls. our maintenance customers started to ask me if we had anything else to do last winter, we got very few summer calls from them there equipment was in fantastic shape.

yeah we started our heating maintenances like 2 motnhs ago.ive found about 7-8 cracked heat exchangers so far...you gotta know where to look for them

I usually find with older folks who try to damper off rooms I get cracked heat exchangers, and people who can't seem to change their filters more than once a decade. This usually gives me a clue to look a bit further. ...anyway, finally cold here in Texas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12