Hybrid View

What do I do next?

Now that I've filled out my new member information once again it comes to my attention that I'm a pretty boring guy. "What are my Hobbies and interests" it asks. I realize after spending a good five minutes trying to figure out what to put there that I'm not a very interesting kind of guy and what I do in my spare time, (fix my car problems, cut the grass, help out neighbors with hvac problems, get out the "to do" list and finally sitting back and flipping on the t.v. doesn't really count as a hobby) so, it's time for a vacation, right!?

a good e-mail addy and experience, are about the only things that really need to be filled into profile; the rest............
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks! My "portfolio" isn't something to write home about. To say the least.

I keep it pretty vague. Any of the mechanics I've worked with might be able to guess who I am just from my user name, but I keep in mind that potential employers, coworkers, or customers may be reading these boards, and I'd rather not be called out on stuff because I'm easily identifiable. Liability is part of it. But mostly for plausible deniability. I can comment casually about times I've screwed up when I'm anonymous.

I can appreciate what you mean. Myself, I don't get out much. I'm stuck here on plant for the past 23 years and can't even go to the parts places anymore for a donut or anything. They send a parts picker-upper that may get the part in a couple of days to two weeks....... heck, who needs a part NOW verses at their convieniance. (spelling ugh) in my side job days I would occasionally renew old acquantences. But not much anymore. Oh, well......
    Thanks for your comments. As you can probably tell I don't have many to talk to.

Hmm, I've thought more and more about taking a plant maintenance job recently. I figure the upside would be job security and lower stress. I've done maintenance work overseas before, and I find it less stressful than service work. Especially after I've been there a while and gotten the equipment in my care running well. My goal as a maintenance worker was always to knock out every problem I found when I got there, then just be vigilant about catching problems before they develop so that I can be a ghost most of the time. I'm not averse to hard work, but if I don't need to work hard, then I'm not going to. If all you notice of me on a maintenance job is that I'm the guy who has a clip board in one hand, a cup of coffee in the other, and that my equipment damn near never breaks, then I'm doing my job well.

The only real downside I can see (as the jobs that have been offered to me pay the same as service work) is the whole "going to the same place every day" thing. Real possibility of going a little stir crazy after a while. I've been a service mechanic for 16 years, and I'm used to spending quite a few hours on the clock in the truck every week going from one call to the next. Not being able to leave to go get parts on my own would definitely annoy me, especially as I'm the type that likes to go get the part for the reason of assuring that I'm going to be getting the correct part that I need.

I certainly can relate to your reasons of working for a facility an always going to the same place. I get it.!! This place is a bit different in that there are about 300 buildings covering a large area which can take 15 minutes to drive from one place to another. Fortunately for me they don't have nearly enough of us hvac guys to do proper P.M. and maintenance on all the equipment, in nice for me because it seems as if most of my work is fixing problems, service work out of the van type work. I'm always getting pulled off one job to get to another because it's an emergency (in their mind) anyway. It's got about any type of equipment and application that one can imagine so it's challenging to make it interesting and certainly not boring, at least most of the time. I do miss going to the parts places and that was a major disappointment that took me years to get used to. There are certainly ups and downs just like any job. Mostly pertaining to "people's personalities" and "plant politics" but I think that's pretty much the case anywhere you work. I'm burining a vacation day today due to the fact that if I don't use them I'll lose them. Have a great day.